XXIX. Fragments

Soon, I found myself trapped in a chaotic crowd of cheerful faces, all blending into a confusing blur of colourful costumes and masks. The autumn leaves were softly crunching under my feet as I was running, pushing people out of my way with blind despair. Occassionally, I caught a glimpse of Anti in the crowd, but it was hard to keep track of him, as there were so many people around and no one paid too much attention to the crazy looking person with a knife in his hand - it was Halloween after all, nothing seemed too abnormal tonight. I had to get to him before he hurts anyone, or himself. I was fighting against the ruthless waves of excited kids, devotedly following a strange voice in my head guiding me to the pier.

"I-I'm sorry," I mumbled for the hundreth time that night as I bumped into someone, when suddenly a cold hand grabbed my wrist. I sharply turned around, suddenly awakened from my hazy thoughts.

"Anti did this," she whispered and pulled me closer, her ice-cold skin sent shivers down my spine, and in her features illuminated by a nearby streetlight I recognized the stranger - myself. Breathless, I slowly lifted my hand and reached towards her, she mirrored my every move. As our hands met, I felt the ground beneath my feet disappear, and everything around me was flooded with darkness. 

It was quiet, calm, and I felt warm under my blanket. Wait, am I back in bed?  Confused, I slowly opened my eyes and gasped in fear at the sight of Anti towering over me, his hands reaching for my throat. 

"A-Anti!" I blurted out before he wrapped them around my neck and tightened, there was no escape, and as I struggled desperately to pry his hands away, I noticed Dark standing behind him, a sadistic entertained smile on his face. I could see they were talking, but couldn't make out any of the words through the loud ringing in my ears. As the last bit of oxygen was leaving my body, I looked into Anti's eyes, trying to find salvation, some kind of meaning and explanation, but instead was faced with a merciless stare, and in the very last moment a cold smile crept onto his face. 

"Y/N!!! Where are you?!" 

I gasped for air and sharply opened my eyes, only to find myself back at the pier. Disoriented by the laughing and loud, quickly passing snippets of conversations around me, I turned around, feeling lightheaded. I pressed my hand on my throat, and suddenly remembered all the times I saw the strange bruises in the mirror. So many questions ran through my head, but I had no one to ask them, she was gone, and I was left in the middle of the crowd feeling extremely isolated from the rest of the world. 

"Y/N! Please, come back!" the shouting came again, and this time I recognized the voice to be Jack's. It was coming from a far away, intertwining with the rest of the voices. Anti. I have to find him. 

I was making my way through the people, inconsiderately pushing through in a blind pursuit of the very thing that was going to destroy me. Why am I even trying to save him? I thought as the vivid memory of him strangling me flashed in front of my eyes. 

And there he was, standing at the edge of the pier, his arms leaning against the rusty railing. With his head bowed down and the way his body was twitching impatiently, he looked lost. And I guess in that moment, so was I. I didn't know what to do. How do I approach him after all this? 

"H e r e   y o u   a re  ,   Y / N ,   I  a m  d e l i g h t e d   y o u   f i n a l l y   m a d e   i t," a voice rumbled behind me and I closed my eyes painfully. Dark took a step forward and with an uncomfortable softness laid his hand on my back, gently pushing me towards Anti, who didn't seem to notice us at all. I jerked away from his touch, carefully inching my way towards Anti. 

"P l e a s e ,   d o   n o t   d i s t u r b   h i m .   I   a m   s u r e   h e ' s   e n j o y i n g   w h a t e v e r   h i s   h a l l u c i n a t i o n s   a r e   s h o w i n g   h i m ," he insisted, a peaceful smile on his lips. I looked over at Anti and grabbed his hand, but with no reaction. His eyes were fixed on the ocean, the waves calmly breaking apart against the pier, I couldn't bear to watch the tortured look on his face.