XXIII. Fragile

God, how I wished it was all just a dream. Just a big horrible nightmare I could wake up from right now. But everything felt too real, too raw - the pulsing pain in the back of my head, the harsh rain against my skin, even the frustrating desperation - I knew I wasn't that lucky. 

I was running away from the house, from everything that happened there, but I knew I couldn't just let that go. I had to save him... right? A confusing jumble of thoughts was flooding my mind as I was stumbling over the exposed roots, the rocks, pretty much everything in my way. I was trying to hold on to the branches, picking myself up again and again. The warm blood was now streaming down the nape of my neck, making me dizzy. I didn't have time to look around, to plan where I'm going, and the forest now seemed to get denser. Am I ever going to get out of here? 

Suddenly I saw a flare... a yellow glimmer through the tree trunks. I stopped and cowered, shielding my eyes with my hand. I could hear a voice, but couldn't make out what it was saying through the loud ringing in my ears. My head was spinning as I was trying to find a place to hide, when a strong hand grabbed my shoulder and shook me, flashing the light into my eyes.

"Y/N! Thank God!" I heard the voice exclaim. I screamed out, finally waking up from the dizziness. I narrowed my eyes. 

"J-Jack?" I stuttered, and he immediately pulled me in for a big hug, his arms wrapping tightly around me. 

"You have no idea how worried I was about you! Are you okay?" Jack pulled me away, observing me carefully. 

"Yes, I'm... fine, what are you doing here?" 

"I'm here to get you. Let's get the hell out of here," he grabbed my hand and pointed the flashlight in front of him, pulling me behind him. 

I shook my head, as I was getting dizzy again, and tugged on his hand, "Jack, Jack, hold on! We have to... I have to... What about Anti?" I asked, watching him desperately. 

"What are you talking about?! Anti's the reason you're in this mess!" he stopped. I could see he was judging me. 

"I can't just leave him behind! Come on, Jack, do you really think you're not in danger if he decides to kill Anti?" I said, my voice breaking at the last words. I leaned against one of the trees, the pain in my head unbearable. 

Jack's gaze was burning me alive, I could only imagine what was going through his head. He probably thought I was insane. And maybe I was, for thinking I could save a demon. Finally, he sighed deeply and supported me with his arms. 

"Are you sure you're okay? You seem really weak..." he whispered, guiding me out of the woods. I shushed him with a wave of my hand. 

"How are we going to find them?" he asked, as we could finally see the end of the forest. I gave him a grateful smile, but immediately realized that I had no answer to that. I took a deep breath to let him know - when my phone started buzzing in my pocket. Jack's hand quickly dove in and he pulled it out, the screen illuminating his worried face. He frowned and turned it towards me. It was a message from an unknown number, a chaotic jumble of letters and characters. The only thing possible to decode from the mess was "Come" and a bunch of numbers. I looked at Jack in despair. 

"They're coordinates..." he mumbled and started typing them into his phone. I blinked a few times, as my vision was becoming fuzzy. 

"Let's go, Jack... let's go," I urged. 

---

It felt like an unbearably long time before we finally reached our destination, as the annoying voice from Jack's phone stated. We found ourselves in front of a grey factory, almost completely taken back by nature. Green ivy crawling on the walls, grass growing through the cracked cement. It must have been abandoned for a very long time. What is it with demons and abandoned places?