XIX. Sticks and Stones

The morning light trickled in through the blinds and gently kissed my skin. I groaned silently and reached out my hand in hopes of finding his body next to me and being able to move closer, but was left grasping the bedsheets in vain. I quickly opened my eyes as I realized what I was trying to do, and pressed my blanket to my chest with my disobedient hand.

I rubbed my eyes and looked around, trying to at least catch a glimpse of Anti somewhere, only to find out he was nowhere to be seen. For a second I even stopped to listen, hoping to hear him somewhere in the other rooms, but I knew he was gone. I closed my eyes and pulled the warm blanket over my head. Of course he is gone. What was I thinking?

With a painfully big effort I managed to drag myself out of bed and make breakfast. I didn't even realize I was burning one of my pancakes, because I was too preoccupied thinking about him, him touching me so softly last night, taking me home... I shook my head in an attempt to shoo these thoughts away. I found myself staring at the plate a long time after I'd finished eating. No, I am done feeling sorry for myself and for everything wrong in my life! I need to start dealing with my problems and confronting the people who hurt me. He's right, Anti is right.

I stormed out my apartment building, blinded by the need to sort things out, I was ready to stop hiding and being a coward and I knew just where to start. I headed to the worse part of the city and before I knew it, I was walking through the street I was looking for. And then I saw him - standing in his garage - I headed right towards him.

"Derek, hey!" I gushed, a huge fake smile curving my lips. He turned around to me, a surprised look on his face.

"Oh, uh..." he looked me up and down a few times, "Y/N?", he finally finished. I nodded and was finally standing next to him, the first and arguably the biggest source of insecurity in my life. He was just standing there, his black hair cut short, a few bruises on his face and hands from fights, until he finally reached for a pack of cigarettes. Looking at him, I couldn't believe I was once in love with him. Admittedly, I was very young and he was my first love, in which case I think most people's choices are quite reckless and unpredictable. My love for him didn't last very long, as he soon turned into a bully and repeatedly took pride in humiliating me in front of everyone, even making nasty remarks about my body. It was the toughest time of my life and I couldn't have been happier when I finally left high school and left it all behind. However, his words and everyone's laughter was always stuck in the back of my head and I've never had the courage to stand up to him.

"What are you doin' here? Came to see me? I guess we could work now that you're not that fat girl!" he laughed and sat down on the ground, lighting the cigarette. I grinned and looked around, trying to count all the beer bottles lying on the floor.

"You really don't think before you speak, huh?" I picked one of them up and the strong smell of stale beer hit my nose.

I heard him chuckle as he continued looking out to the street, not even bothering to look at me. "Whatever, I really don't care, Y/N. You didn't really think I would date YOU, did you? That would've been embarrassing, dating the ugly weirdo at school!"

"Right, I, uh," I began and felt my cheeks flush with blood as anger filled my veins.

D͏o ̢somet̴hiņg!͢

I heard Anti's voice in theback of my mind and before even realizing it, I leapt towards Derek and smashedthe bottle on his head with all my strength. He fell onto the ground withoutletting out a single sound and as I stood there holding the neck of the bottletrying to catch my breath, the feeling of anger was slowly replaced by sheerpanic. I quickly closed the garage door and pulled him up on a chair, tying himup. I was hysterically pacing around, when he finally woke up, his hadimmediately shooting up towards the blood in his hair. He looked at me angrily. 

"What the fuck are you doing?! Are you out of your mind?!" he jerked his body and hissed as he couldn't move.

D̦͑͊ͭo͇ͫ̎͊ͮ ̰͈ͨͪ̍ͮy͌ͥ͌̄ͅo̥͂̄ͤͨ̓ͨǔ̑ ̝̯̝̫̗̬͍̃͂f͍͓̘͓̙ͪ̿̑e̟̜̖̤̺ͯ̈́̚eͬ̀͑ͧl̤̯̥̓̇̑ͦ͐̋͆ ͕̣̮̟̹̙̒̽̊̆ͮ̆ͅt̩̼̮̠̞͙̤͛̎h̎ͪe͉̞͉ ̯p̌o͉͈̣͑̈ͦͫẘ̞͙̳ͩͬ̈́̔e̠̻ͨrͦͧ ͋y̩̱o̅̒u̲͙̘̰̥͊͛ͩͧ ̝̹̩͉̝̟̋̎ͬͯ͗̎h̔ͯ̂͆̾ȃ̤̺̳͕̎ͮͮ̽̽̽v͙̼̪̞ͣ̎͗͋̐e̝̥̤͚̪͚ͣ̄̅ͨ̔ ̥̝̈́ͤͨ̐̿̾o̮͙̟͉͇̊v̝̲͔͓͒͑͆̈̇̾e̟͇r̫͒̒̍ ̻̜͙͓̠̯̄ͥͨh̪̖i̞̘̩̮̬m̳̺͕̖͙̥̮ͨ̾?͐ͮ

For a second I watched him trying to get himself free, when suddenly to my own surprise my lips turned into a smile. "Yes, actually. I'm sick and tired of people like you. You made my life a living hell, I think it's time for me to return the favor," I asserted.

He bared his teeth at me in a furious grin, "untie me right now, or I swear to god-" I didn't even let him finish, as I gathered all my might and punched him in the face. My wrist hurt like hell, but it felt so damn good.

Derek spat out the blood, "you fuckin' bitch," he swore, "I'll call the cops, you-" I pulled out the knife and held it firmly against his throat. My hand didn't shake, I didn't hesitate for even a second. I saw a few drops of blood streaming down his neck and he tried to pull away.

"Oh? And tell them what? The nice quiet girl attacked a big guy like you? Really?" I hissed at him. That was the last drop. I felt it now, all the things Anti was talking about, all the things he was trying to get me to do. I understood. It was blinding, it was liberating. It was almost as if it was erasing all the scars on my mind.

The persistent buzzing of my phone finally pierced through the loud hissing of blood in my ears and tore me back into reality. I quickly picked it up after getting a glimpse of the name "Jack" on my screen.

"Uh... yeah?" I buried my forehead in the palm of my hand. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Y/N? Thank god! Where have you been?! I've been trying to reach you since noon!"

"What are you talking about? I've been..." I looked up and almost fell onto the ground trying to step away. Derek didn't manage to get out of the rope tied firmly around him, in fact, he seemed to be unconscious. His face bloody and swollen, a few cuts on his arms and neck. I gasped for air and immediately covered my mouth, trying not to alarm Jack.

"You've been where? I hope you're not getting yourself in trouble any more than you already are," he mumbled, a hint of concern in his voice.

"HUH?! Oh, no! Not at all! Everything is perfectly fine!" I pressed my palm against the phone's mic, hysterically hyperventilating.

"Alright, look. I need to talk to you. Can you come meet me?"

I knew he wanted to talk to me about Anti, I knew he wanted to get rid of him. But he was so deep inside of my mind, I wasn't sure I could do it. I didn't know how to communicate my doubt to Jack, but what I did know was that I needed to get the hell out of here, before Derek wakes up. I silently crept out the door and as soon as I was out of sight, I started running. Once again, I found myself running away from my own demons, but this time towards the arms of another demon.