XXI. Vulnerable

The sound of Anti's bones cracking, his maniacal laughter, the thunder growling all around us, blood rushing into my head, and Jack's desperate shouting all melted into one big messy chaos as I watched the horror unfold in front of my eyes. I squinted as the burning tree blinded me and could feel the unbearable heat on my skin, but couldn't seem to move, until Jack finally started running away, grabbing my hand and pulling me along. I almost stumbled, but quickly came to my senses, I tightened my grip. He was way faster, I realized, as I was struggling to keep up, but there was no way I was staying behind. Anti's threatening chuckle was a great motivation to keep running.

"What did you do, Y/N?!" Jack shouted, wide-eyed.

"W-what do you mean?! Exactly what you told me!" I screamed back at him, my voice shaking. I knew precisely what he meant. How could I have fucked it up?

"Why the hell did you kiss him?! You didn't fall in- Oh god, please tell me you didn't!" He urged and we stopped in front of a huge black gate, and as another lightning illuminated it, I realized it leads into the cemetery. Great. Could not have picked a better place to hide from an insane demon. I gave Jack a worried look, completely ignoring his question, to which he responded with a tortured sigh. I wasn't ready to admit to having feelings for Anti.

"Goddammit, Y/N!" he shouted and I immediately shushed him. With a disapproving frown, he pulled me inside the cemetery. The gravel was crunching under our feet, despite our attempts to be as quiet as possible.

"It's okay, don't worry about it..." I whispered and finally let go of his hand, wrapping my arms around myself in an attempt to warm myself up. The rain had already soaked my clothes.

"Don't-?! Don't worry about it?" he whispered back angrily, rubbing his tired eyes, "Believe it or not, I am kinda worried about you falling in love with a demon."

"I'm... not..." I started, but immediately gave up. I was tired of lying, but I was not willing to tell the truth either.

Jack waved his hand, vigorously ending that conversation, "What are we going to do now, huh?"

I shrugged my shoulders helplessly, and before I could say anything, the gate slowly opened with an ominous creaking, followed by footsteps on the gravel. I could feel my heart pounding, as we started escaping again, but this time we tried to keep as quiet as possible. I kept looking over my shoulder, and when I looked back, I couldn't see Jack anywhere. Dammit. Should've hold on to his hand. I hurried up and hid behind a big marble gravestone.

I tried my best to listen for Anti through the raging storm, and I could hear his footsteps, which were uncomfortably calm and slow. He stopped for a second and suddenly I could hear something else - whistling. Silent at first, but it grew stronger, a melody cut out for a lullaby, but there was nothing beautiful or soothing about hearing it in this situation. It sent shivers down my spine and I crouched more behind the tombstone, covering my mouth to hide my breath. I heard him walking around the graves, dragging his knife across the stone as he walked past.

"C͢͢ò̀͟m̨ȩ̴̧ o͢͞ú͟͠t,̕ ͞co͟͞me͠ ̛ơ͟͏ut̢̀,̴̨ wh̛҉e̷̡̕rȩ͜͡v͏̸͡e̡͞r y̢͞ou ̸ą̛͡r̛͢e͘͡!"

I cringed at the sound of the blade on marble and shut my eyes tight, trying to stay calm. Anti's whistling was still calm, very out of place, which made the whole thing even more terrifying. He was not at all worried about not finding us.

Suddenly the whistling stopped, and a scream pierced the cold silence. I peeked out and saw Anti, his hand around Jack's neck, he held him against a wall. Anti giggled creepily, his head twitching. He slammed Jack painfully against the wall with an aggressive growl.