XVII. Brokenhearted

Despite my suddenly heavy heart and strange loneliness creeping up my back, I eventually overcame the overwhelming urge to wallow in self-pity and managed to drag my tired self to bed, which I finally fully realized when I was cozily snuggled up in my blankets. I felt slightly uncomfortable as the memory of Anti kissing me came back to haunt me while I was trying to fall asleep. Half dozed off, I was drowning in my own thoughts, mainly questioning my own common sense. There is no way I'm having feelings for him, is there? After everything he put me through?

A loud buzzing of my phone echoed through my room, notifying me of new messages. I quickly grabbed it and squinted to be able to read the blindingly bright screen. Multiple texts started flooding my phone, the buzzing getting more and more annoying. All of them were from Jack - I completely forgot I even gave him my number in the café. I felt my heart skip a beat as I was reading through them, he wanted to meet me. However, it was in no way a cute date invitation, more like desperate urgency. "Please, Y/N, text me back. I'm sorry this is happening to you," one of them read, but I had no more energy left in me to even respond, until I got another text. "Anti's dangerous, stay away from him." Reading his name felt like something sharp piercing my heart. I scoffed at the last part - "stay away" - I clearly had no idea how to do that, considering how unapologetically my lips were pressed against his a few hours ago. I finally wrote Jack back, agreeing to meet the next day, before falling asleep with the phone still in my hand.

The next morning, I was woken up by my mom excitedly shoving breakfast under my nose. I happily obliged and as I was stuffing my face full of pancakes, I saw the smile on her face change into a concerned look. "I heard you arguing with Jack last night... Is that why he's not here?" she asked carefully, fixing my hair.

"Oh, uh... yeah, actually. It's no big deal, though, don't worry about it," I smiled at her, to which she nodded knowingly, but I could see she would definitely worry about it. I was determined to leave early, in order to meet Jack and get back home safely. I spent a few more hours with my parents, before finally getting back into my car and driving away. I stopped by a café a few minutes away, the place where we were supposed to meet. I took a few sharp deep breaths and stepped inside, the whole room was filled with the smell of coffee and cinnamon and quiet laughter of the people in it. The only thing out of place was a green-haired boy sitting in the corner, nervously sipping on his coffee. As I was walking towards him, I felt very uneasy, given how similar he looked to Anti, except Jack was... a bit more human, he didn't have this strange dark vibe to him. He finally noticed me when I sat down in front of him, folding my arms.

"Hey, I was... hoping you would come -," he started silently.

"How do you know what's happening to me?" I interrupted him, surprising even myself with my bluntness. I could see he was struggling to find words.

"I'm so sorry... this was never supposed to happen..."

"Why me?" I raised my eyebrows, watching his anxious eyes. He sighed and shook his head.

"Because you were... vulnerable. Weak, in a way. Brokenhearted?" he implied, taking a sip of his coffee. I frowned at him, "Vulnerable? To what?"

"To him and his tricks and his fake affection. All that to influence you and make you his own," he replied, watching me with concern. Something was telling me he was not lying and I hated that. I hated the idea of all of that being true, of me falling for a trick as simple as lying to the vulnerable girl. "But what for? I can't do anything for him..." I started, my eyes glued to the table. Suddenly I felt Jack's hand on mine and I looked up. "Look, I'm not sure what he wants from you... But there is definitely something and he always gets what he wants. No matter who dies."

"What do you want me to do?" I whispered silently, blinking the tears away. He remained quiet for a while, I could feel his gaze on me.

"Oh, no. It worked, didn't it? You actually fell for it?" He asked. I swiftly pulled my hand away from his and stood up angrily. But I was not angry at him, I was angry at myself. "I'm gonna go."

"Just be careful, okay? If anything happens... You might have to kill him."

I nodded, his words sharply cutting my skin. I turned around and headed for the door, the hot tears finally spilling out onto my cheeks. I could not believe how blind I had been.

I spent the next few days back in my own apartment, at first full of anger and desperation, but eventually I made peace with myself. I was ready to stand up for myself and for my own heart, but even though I hated to admit it, I was trying to find Anti everywhere. Every strange sound, every shadow, I was somehow hoping he was behind it, but that was simply never the case. To keep myself occupied, I spent the days with my friends, of course never mentioning anything about the insane demon, and today was no different.

"I think someone drank a bit too much!" I giggled at my friend Rose falling on the ground as we stepped out of the bar, where we both definitely drank a bit too much. It was very late and the streets were empty and peaceful, now filled with my sincere laughter. I helped her back up and after a few drunken i-love-you-so-muchs and cheek kisses, we parted our ways to head home.

As I was walking through one of the dark streets, all of a sudden, I felt a hand on my hips, which I quickly slapped away. I turned around and saw a tall man, his hands reaching for me. "Oh, what, baby, don't play hard to get!" he smiled creepily and pushed me against a nearby wall with all his might. I struggled to push him away, his hand back on me. "Get away from me!" I hissed at him, but he pressed his hand against my mouth, clearly entertained by this weak drunk girl in front of him. As his hand made its way under my skirt, I found myself reaching for something in my bag. I realized it was Anti's knife, just as I sharply stabbed him in his arm. He let out a painful screech and slapped me in defense, but I was aware of how much control I could have over him. I twisted the knife still in the wound and he fell onto the ground, growling, before I ripped it out. The blood quickly soaked through his shirt and as he started getting angrier, I knew it was time to flee.

I was quickly running through the streets, my heels clacking on the ground, the alcohol in my system making me dizzy, everything felt like in a dream. I looked over my shoulder and suddenly ran into someone, their hands catching me before I had the chance to fall down onto the cold cobblestone. I screamed out in surprise and then bursted out laughing, drunk both off the shots I had and what had just happened. I caught a glimpse of the person's green hair just as they ran their finger down my flushed cheek, before picking me up. I wrapped my hands around their neck and rested my head against their shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, trying to catch a breath.

"Bringing you home. You've already taken care of yourself, now it's time for me," Anti whispered back. I scoffed and buried my face in his neck. "You knew I would use your knife, that's why you left it behind. You fuckin-"

"Shhh," he shook his head disapprovingly. "You're unbelievable, Anti." I heard myself mumble before dozing off. When I opened my eyes next, I was already lying in my bed, I quickly grabbed his hand as he was walking away. He looked at me confused.

"Stay?" I asked him and watched him just stand there for a few seconds, before finally lying down next to me. I moved towards him and put my head on his chest, wrapping my arm around him. Anti tensed up, but as I was almost asleep, I felt his hand gently running through my hair.

--

Hey, cutiepies! 

If you actually read the whole thing, thank you so much! It really does mean a lot ♥ I hope you're all doing well! 

Love, Andrea