XVIII. In Too Deep

Anti's Point of View

I realize now how incredibly foolish I had been for thinking I could own this girl. But how could I have anticipated her becoming so resistant to my tricks? I could not believe this girl, who was now yelling and standing up to me, was the same girl as the one I saw back then in the café. I was so sure she was the one - the perfect victim. Broken, vulnerable, sitting there smiling shyly, I thought it would be ridiculously easy to make her mine. And in a way, it was, I had the perfect plan. All I needed was to gain her trust and convince her to help me kill Jack - the only thing standing in my way of becoming stronger. It needs to be someone with good intentions. I wish I could just skip all this messy work and kill him myself, but that is simply not an option. We are bound together, unfortunately for me, I am part of him, but now it is time for me to become the dominant one. Seems like it will take a few more kisses to convince Y/N she's in love with me and killing Jack is the right thing to do.

I knew she was in the bar that night, just as I knew where she was every other night. I tried to convince myself that I was just doing that to make sure she wouldn't do anything stupid, but one of the voices in my head kept whispering "you care about that pathetic human" and each and every single time I had to shut it up by distracting myself with killing. I was leaning against a cold brick wall, staring at the sky, when suddenly laughter filled the empty streets and echoed in my ears. And there she was, beautiful as ever, picking her friend up from the ground. It was a strange feeling hearing her laugh.

HA! You care about her! A squeaky voice in my head screamed out, No, I don't, I hissed back, slamming my hand against the wall. You do, you do, you do! Pathetic! it continued. I could feel myself getting angrier, clenching my fists until my knuckles turned white.

"Get away from me!" I heard her scream out, and for a second I thought she could see me, but then I noticed it was not addressed to me. The fucking guy covered her mouth and pressed himself against her. As his hand made its way up Y/N's skirt, mine reached straight for my knife.

You left it for her! So she could protect herself! You're a joke! the voice screamed out again. I heard a deep growl escaping my lips and ran my hands through my hair, pulling on it. Shut up! Just shut up!

A loud scream pierced the night's silence and woke me up. I saw her standing there, just as she ripped the knife from his wound, I noticed a strange smile curving her blood-splattered lips and I couldn't help but smile too. I watched her run away, her heel clacking against the cobblestones. I walked over to the guy on the ground and felt an incredible need to kill him, but realized bleeding out would be a way more painful way to go. I squatted down and buried my fingers in the wound, to which he reacted by more screaming.

"Shouldn't have messed with my girl," I hissed at him and got up, wiping my hand on his shirt. Did I really say that? My girl? I shook my head and stepped away. In the distance, I could still hear her running. There was no way I was going to let her get into any more trouble tonight. Not when she's drunk. I appeared in front of her just as she was looking over her shoulder and wrapped my arms around her as she stumbled. She screamed out in surprise and then, to my surprise, bursted out laughing. For a second I watched her in disbelief, gently running my finger down her cheek. I could see now that she was something more than what I've thought. I picked her up on my arms, hers instantly wrapping around my neck.

"What are you doing?" she whispered, her sweet bourbon breath felt warm on my skin.

"Bringing you home. You've already taken care of yourself, now it's time for me." I whispered back, trying to focus on the road and not get distracted by her.

"You knew I would use your knife, that's why you left it behind. You fuckin-" Y/N started and for a second my lips twisted into a sly smile. I shushed her and carried her the rest of the way in silence. I quietly put her down in her bed and took a step back to take her shoes off. They fell on the ground with a loud thud, but she just grunted. I stood there, watching her breathe, and for a second it seemed... normal?

Here we go again. Maybe you should just kill her to kill your feelings! The voice giggled creepily. I closed my eyes tightly, trying to ignore it. Come on, the knife is right there. Just do it! You know you want to. She won't be any help anyway, it scoffed. I growled quietly and struggled to tear my gaze from the knife. Ohh, you're in love?! it continued. I quickly turned around to walk out of the room, but was stopped by a hand grabbing mine, her warm touch almost melting my ice-cold skin. "Stay?" she whispered.

No, no, no, don't you fucking dare! You'll fuck everything up, idiot! I bit my lip, I knew that this time the voice was right, but the way she was looking at me was telling me something completely different. Something I haven't felt before. I slowly got in bed next to her, trying to keep my distance, but she was obviously not having that. She immediately move towards me and rested her head on my chest, her arm wrapped around my waist. I felt my body tense up as I watched her lying there quietly, my hands close to me, I tried not to touch her, but as I heard her breath slow down, I suddenly found my hand running through her hair.

"Y/N?" I whispered into the darkness, but she was already asleep, only tightened her grip around me and grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers.

This is not right, I thought and I knew I couldn't keep this up any longer. I am getting too distracted, I need to focus on what I'm actually going. I need to get out of here while I still have time.