I. Sharp as Glass

Green tea or black tea? I asked myself while looking at the huge blackboard above the barista's head. I shook my head and ordered a glass of wine. It was only 4 pm, but today I felt like I needed a drink. I've always been good at coping with my loneliness, but some days it took over me and I couldn't help but worry about the future. I was afraid if anyone's ever going to fall in love with me. I've never been in a relationship, every single person I've ever had feelings for ended up falling in love with someone else. I've gotten used to it, but it still bothered me more than I'd like to admit. Today I felt like forgetting about it.

I sat down at a nearby table and started reading my book. The sadness kept creeping up my spine and it was impossible for me to focus, so I often found myself staring absently through my glass. The light from the café's chandelier glinted on the glass and the surface of the wine was shaking a bit as people were walking by. I heard someone chatting excitedly with the barista, but I couldn't be bothered to look. I swallowed the rest of my wine with a gulp and decided to head home. I quickly pushed my chair back and stood up, not noticing the person behind me. They dropped their cup in surprise and I quickly tried to catch it, only for it to shatter on my wine glass still standing on the table. I screamed out in pain when I realized I stuck my hand in a pile of the broken glass. I quickly pulled it out and could see the warm blood streaming down to my wrist.

"I'M SO SORRY!" I heard and finally got a good look at the person whose cup I tried to save.

"No, no, it's not your fault. Ouch! Fuck, that hurts!" I hissed and waved my hand around. He quickly grabbed some napkins from the table and wrapped them around my hand, holding it with both of his. I could still feel the sharp pain, but I let him hold my hand, while I was looking at his worried face. His green hair was hiding one of his eyes.

"I should be sorry, I wasn't paying attention." I smiled at him and nodded convincingly. His face finally lost the tension and he smiled back.

"Well, let me at least buy you a new glass of... wine?" He lifted his eyebrow. "Isn't it a bit too early?" He chuckled.

I shrugged my shoulders: "Bad day."

He nodded as if he knew exactly what I meant and didn't ask any more questions. He left me at the table with the napkins still around my hand and came back after a while with two new glasses of wine. He sat down in front of me with a big smile on his face.

"Wow... I could've bled out if it wasn't for you and I don't even know your name" I said as I took a sip.

"You wouldn't even be in this situation if it wasn't for me. Your pretty little hand would be intact," he giggled. "But you can call me Jack. Or Sean. Whichever you prefer."

I smiled and tilted my head to the side: "Is that some kind of a split personality thing?"

His smile got nervous for a while, but then he laughed: " I guess you could say that." He winked at me mysteriously.

We continued chatting for about an hour and when we finally finished our glasses, I very carefully got up from my chair, making sure not to hit anyone this time.

"It was really lovely to meet you, Jack. I'm still really sorry about your coffee, though. Call me if you ever want me to buy you a cup." I smiled at him as I was putting on my coat.

"I'll hold you to that. And I'm also sorry about your hand!" he giggled.

We said goodbye after we exchanged our phone numbers and I turned around to go outside. Suddenly I caught a glimpse of Jack in the glass door's reflection. His eyes were completely black and his crazy wide smile showed two sharp fangs. His head twitched a little and I saw blood coming from his left eye. I quickly turned around, but Jack was sitting there smiling at his phone. He noticed I was staring and waved me goodbye with a friendly smile on his face.

I shook my head. Too much wine, I thought as I walked out of the cafe. I looked around and felt cold raindrops land on my cheeks. I smiled to myself. Could I have finally found someone special?

xxx

Hello!! This was the first part of my antisepticeye story :) I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know you found any mistakes (which I'm sure you did, I'm not a native speaker, sorry!) so I can fix them. Thank you!! :)