VI. Candlelight

I still remember the smile on my grandpa's face as he was handing me over the keys to my new car. It happened two years ago, but the memory was still clear as day in my mind. He was so proud, so hopeful and so was I. It took me a while to get the hang of driving and I've always been a very careful driver, I made sure to always respect the speed limit, but this was no time to keep my eyes on the speedometer. My hands were holding onto the steering wheel so firmly, my knuckles were turning white. I couldn't breathe properly, the image of Anti ripping that man's throat was burned into my eyes, not even blinking got rid of it. So much was going through my mind and I couldn't find a single answer, which would make me feel more at peace.

I took a sharp turn to the apartment building where I lived and parked my car outside. Slowly I closed my eyes and leaned forward, resting my forehead on the steering wheel. This must be just a bad dream.

A few minutes passed, when I was trying to calm my breathing and my frantically beating heart, before I got out and ran inside. I've never been very keen on sports, let alone running, but I'm pretty sure anyone would be impressed by the speed I ran up the stairs to my apartment. I locked the door behind me with two turns of my key and pressed my back against the door. My breathing got gradually steadier, but the fear remained. I tossed my bag on my couch and closed all the curtains, which created a very safe feeling of not being seen by the world outside, but the darkness wasn't very comforting. I decided to light some candles in my bedroom and in my living room, before sitting down on the sofa. I pulled my legs up, hugging them with both of my arms. A rumble coming from my belly reminded me I haven't actually eaten the whole day. I pulled the little plastic package of strawberries out of my bag and took a small bite. The delicious red color made me think of all the blood spilled today right in front of my eyes. I looked around, afraid of what might happen and slowly lied down, covering my eyes with my forearm. The whole world was spinning as if I was drunk and little by little I felt my body get heavier, until I fell asleep.

--

I rolled over and ran my hand through my hair before opening my eyes to a gently flickering flame of a candle burning on my bedside table. I yawned and pulled my blanket up under my chin, peacefully drifting off to sleep again, slowly falling... Didn't I fall asleep on my couch?

Quickly I sat up on my bed, dropping my feet to the floor. I blinked a few times, trying to get accustomed to the dark room, lit only by the few candles. I got up and lazily made my way to the living room, when all of a sudden, a cold hand grabbed me by my wrist. Anti was sitting in my armchair with a huge smile on his face, the candlelight reflecting in his pitch-black eyes. A scream of fear left my lips, but was soon interrupted by Anti slamming me against the wall and placing his hand over my mouth.

"Shhh, you don't want to wake up the neighbors, do you?" he whispered, visibly angered by me making so much noise. The same fear as before flooded my body, I pressed my hands against his arm, trying to push him off, but it had no effect on him whatsoever. I mumbled desperately through his hand and to my surprise, he let go right after warning me to stay quiet.

I pressed my back against the wall, trying to understand his facial expression. It seemed like anything could make him angry.

"What if I won't be quiet? Will you kill me too?" I whispered, daringly looking into his eyes, which have now turned back into their regular human looking form. I noticed they were a beautiful shade of blue, the kind you could drown in if you stared for too long. He giggled and caressed my cheek with his cold finger.

"Oh, honey... I have something way better for you in store." he smiled, tilting his head to the side. He simply enjoyed seeing me scared and I couldn't think straight. I was so confused by his image. He was so beautiful, his hair looking still a bit wet from the rain outside and his smile... it confused me the most. It was the type that made you want to smile back, but at the same time I was terrified of him. He kept watching me with a pleased smile on his face, as if he knew what I was thinking about. Anti stepped back and grabbed me by my waist, leading me into the kitchen. As if I weighed nothing, he picked me up and sat me down on the counter, offering me the package of strawberries I hadn't finished earlier. I gave him a puzzled look.

"Hungry?" he asked, picking one strawberry up and holding it in front of my mouth. I watched him as he was waiting patiently for me to do something, but I knew his patience wasn't endless. I saw what he could do and I wasn't planning on being his next victim, even though something told me I couldn't run away even if I tried. I took a bite to please him and he finished the rest, still the same smile on his face.

"We are going to have so much fun together, Y/N."

These chapters are getting longer and longer, sorry, haha, I'm having too much fun

 (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧