72

"Just one more breath, just one more night will I be waiting here, don't give up"

               - Don't Give Up, Ryan Star

For the longest time all I could feel was the freezing cold. All I could hear was silence. All I could see was the darkness. It was as if I didn't exist.

I started to give up hope of ever being cured. My mind would never be my own. I could never see Alex again, or our children.

I had to think it was for the best, no matter how much it hurt me. It was safer for them. That's what really mattered.

For me, there was never any hope. I never thought I'd feel a hint of warmth again. I was destined to be frozen in a box for eternity.

Then it didn't feel so cold. I didn't understand what it was at first. It's been so long since I felt warmth. It was amazing.

When I opened my eyes, I saw little puffs of steam and when it cleared, my eyes were met with a similar sight from when I went under.

"Steve?" I asked, blinking a few times to make sure this was real.

He looked so different, his hair was longer and darker. This was not the same Steve I knew, but I didn't care at the moment.

"Hey, Bucky..." Steve smiled.

I jumped down from the small platform of the cryogenic tank. I went to hug him, forgetting at the moment I only had one arm, but he embraced me without hesitation, and I used my one arm to hug him best I could.

"It took you long enough." I chuckled.

I felt him pat my back before pulling back. Then things got more serious.

"How long?" I asked. How long had I been frozen while the world went on without me?

"Two and a half years." Steve sighed with sullen eyes.

Two and half years? It wasn't much compared to all the other time I lost with Hydra, but it was still a lot. Then I thought of something else that was missing.

"Where's Alex?" I asked worried. Oh my god... What if she's dead? Steve didn't say anything immediately, which only made my thoughts worse.

"Steve, don't tell me she's-" I couldn't even finish the sentence before sobbing.

Steve then immediately shook his head. "No-No, she's alive... it's just complicated."

Steve forced a smile onto his face and pat me on the arm. "Let's get you dressed, then we'll talk."

+

After what seemed like hours of conversation, Steve slowly brought me up to speed on what happened the last few years, also while some Wakandan Technicians were busy attaching another metal arm to my shoulder. I missed a lot... too much.

My children were teenagers, Alex left with her evil brother, but now they've been causing a lot of trouble.

"There has to be a reason why, this is Alex we're talking about, this isn't her-" I rambled on until Steve stopped me.

"I know, I felt the same way, but it's not her anymore. They're not controlling her, Bucky... She's doing all this because she wants to." Steve said.

"How can you be sure? What if she's faking it? What if it's some other mind control-"

"You didn't see her, Buck.... It's not her. Not anymore." Steve told him sternly.

This wasn't like Steve to give up, none of this made any sense. I didn't have a clue as to why she would do something like this. Why has Steve given up so quickly, he never even tried to save her?

"So what do we do?" I asked, completely exhausted. The Technicians were almost finished connecting the new arm, and I could start to wiggle my metal fingers. Steve may have given up on Alex, but there was no way in hell I would.

"Tony's coming up with a plan back in New York right now, we're going there to help him as soon as we're done here." Steve nodded.

"And Sarah and James? There in New York too?" I asked.

"Yes, you can see them as soon as we get back." He smiled. "They're gonna be thrilled."

"Good... that's good." I nodded. At least they were still here, I may had missed out on a lot of their lives, but now I was gonna make up for it.

+

As much as I ship Bucky and Alex, I love Stucky so freaking much 😍

I heard this song on The Fosters but I couldn't find it in Nightcore, but I still thought it'd be amazing with this chapter

I don't wanna say too much, but there will definitely be some Bucky/Alex interaction, in the next chapter 😉

PECE 😘💕💕💕