letter eighteen

I sat on the hospital bed rethinking the past events of the last hour. Ryan called the cops once he heard the ruckus from my room. I didn't want to think that he saw anything but at this moment that is the only explanation. When I was being walked out of the house Reese was crying in Ryan's arms. All I wanted was to take her in mine and comfort her, but I knew if she saw me she would cry harder.

I looked up at the reflection of the window. I had dark bags under my eyes, my neck had a dark purple bruise covering my pale skin. I didn't realize I looked as if I had been put through the ringer, did I look like this the first time? That's a question I shouldn't have to ask myself, this shouldn't of happened twice. It shouldn't of happened once. I should've fought to protect my self and my family. But I didn't, I was a coward.

"Hey sweetie, how are you doing?" The nurse asked walking in, a clip board sat under her arm.

"I'm ok" I looked away from her. My gaze landing on my shoes sitting by the door. I wanted to leave, I didn't want to be here. I wanted to be home comforting my mom. She was taken to the hospital, my dad pushed her and her head hit the corner of the counter.

"Alright. Well if you do really feel alright someone is here to see you" I look back up at her, my eyebrows furrowing. She had a smile plastered on her face. "He wouldn't stop begging. Are you ok with him coming in?" I nodded.

I sat up in my bed, my feet dangling over the edge. It reminded me of when I was a child and my feet couldn't reach the floor. Back to when I didn't have to worry if my dad would hate me because I was gay. Where I wouldn't have to worry that I was gay. I would get cookies and kisses from both my parents. Things took a turn for the worst when I realized who I would fall in love with.

There was a knock at the door. There stood Jack with a T-shirt and sweatpants, his usual these days. However to me he still looked good. He smiled lightly. He had a bruise around his eyes and his hands were stitched. I looked away, whatever he wanted to say he could. Nothing could ruin this day even more.

"Zach" he took a seat next to me. His presence was warm, if I could I would fall into his arms once again, but he told me we couldn't be friends. "Your dads in jail" he spoke softly. I shrugged, I didn't have the power to look in to his eyes. The last time I did that he told me we couldn't see each other.

"Zach I've been broken without you" He blurt out, how was I supposed to react? "I need to explain myself"

"Yeah, go ahead and explain why you decided to leave me when you knew that you helped me so much. You read the letters. Why did you leave me? Is it because you needed popularity points or is it because you are just a fucking prick who likes to go around and screw peoples lives" I don't know where it came from, but everything I've been holding in for the last month came pouring out. I stood up grabbing my T-Shirt and slipping it over my bare chest. "I would sure love to know."

"I didn't want to leave!" He shouted mimicking my actions. He now stood in front of me only inches away. I stood frozen waiting for his explanation. "Everyone has a story Zach. I just wasn't ready to tell anyone." I sighed running a hand through my messy hair "both of my parents are abusive. My mom does drugs but my dad drinks alcohol. They hate me for no reason." He took a deep breath. "They knew you were gay, they already hated you" I laughed coldly.

"Because I haven't been through that already."

"No Zach, I was afraid for you. If they found out about those letters they would've hurt you. I don't want you to be hurt" he explained. My eyes softened as they finally met Jacks.

"Why did you come back Jack? You could've been hurt badly. Don't you know that?" I questioned, unfolding my arms from across my chest.

"I called social services. I told them everything. I couldn't handle it anymore—"

"Couldn't handle what?" Some part of me wanted the reason to be me.

"I couldn't handle being away from you Zach"

"But the letters" I turned away from him and walked to the door way. I didn't want to be closer to him.

"The Letters meant everything to me." He walked over to me again "Zach I was afraid of myself for a long time. I'm taking responsibility, I love you Zach. The same way"

A small smile formed on both of our lips. My heart fluttered at the fact that Jack felt the same way. I've dreamt about this for so long. I never understood why I liked jack, it was a random feeling in me that told me Jack was someone I would love. And I'm not afraid anymore of the love, I'll take my responsibility now.

"I love you too Jack" I spoke softly. A smile burst on his lips, he was happy. A true happy, something I feel that we've both been missing over the past month.

"We've been through so much. Together and apart" I chuckled lightly and nodded at his statement "so Zachary Dean Herron, will you go on a date with me?"

"I would love to Jack Robert Avery"

T H E E N D

•  •  •

>my people I still have an epilogue to write.
>I will be doing extra chapters, at the most 5
>1000 [longest chapter. You proud?]