Chapter 18: Love of A Lifetime

The beginnings of a song that I knew well started to come through and I looked at Ellen who was smiling knowingly. Leo began to sing the first verse and I dug my top teeth into my bottom lip and felt tears starting to pool. "I guess the time was right for us to say; We'd take our time and live our lives together day by day; We'll make a wish and send it on a prayer; We know our dreams can all come true; With love that we can share." I managed to choke back the tears and grin when Desmond looked over to me as he played the chorus and Leo sang. The guitar began to intensify as they reached the chorus, "I finally found the love of a lifetime; A love to last my whole life through; I finally found the love of a lifetime; Forever in my heart, I finally found the love of a lifetime." He closed his eyes and lost himself in an added guitar solo.

I couldn't keep it together any longer when the lyrics to the second verse started, "With every kiss our love is like brand-new; And every star up in the sky was made for me and you; Still we both know that the road is long; (But) We know that we will be together; Because our love is strong." Tears were streaming down my smiling cheeks as the last words of that verse rang out and Desmond began to grin back at me as he took over the big, bridge building guitar solo. He chuckled and shook his head as he looked up behind him and saw my face on the screen, tears and all as I smiled at him adoringly. I wiped the tears away as I sang along with the end of the song.

"Damn you both," I whispered to Ellen who I knew was in on that surprise.

"What did I do?" She feigned innocence. "In my defense, he had it on his short list of options before I told him how much you love that song."

"Really?" I gaped in surprise.

"It made his top three. It was 'Love of a Lifetime,' 'Faithfully,' or 'Everywhere'."

I was just going to question her further when Leo started again. "Alright, we are going to finish our portion of the show with our currently most requested song. But we have a little surprise for you." He said with that impish smile that I knew so well. "We've decided that we need a little help and who better to help than 'The Disciples of Poor Nigel'?" My eyes widened and I watched as Desmond laughed at my reaction. Poor Nigel was by far my favorite band. It was completely made up of badass female and gender fluid individuals that sang feminist, empowering songs that I liked to sing in the shower. From behind me came the sound of heels clicking and rubber soles stomping. I turned around and was face to face with Naomi Wilmington, their lead singer. I squealed slightly as she smiled at me.

"You must be Ivy." She greeted and I stood rooted, unable to say things.

"She is. She is also like your biggest fan and completely star struck." Ellen interrupted on my behalf.

"And that makes you Ellen." The lead guitarist offered her a hand to shake.

"Reporting for duty." She replied with a salute before shaking her hand.

"Ivy, darling?" Desmond's voice caught me off guard from the stage. "Can you come out here?" He asked when my eyes met his and somehow, they widened further than they had at the sight of Naomi Wilmington. I shook my head rapidly.

"Come on," Naomi urged taking my hand and leading me toward the stage. I wanted to stop her but she was too fantastic to contradict. "You weren't kidding, Desmond." She muttered as he met us at the edge of the wing.

"I didn't know she would freeze completely. Ivy, are you ok?" He asked, genuinely concerned. He was slouching to meet my eyes and brushing his fingers against my cheeks in an effort to soothe me.

"What's happening?" I asked through chapped everything.

"They asked us to pick a band to join us. I asked if Naomi could do it, to surprise you." He rushed to say.