Chapter 6: Peg o' My Heart

Author's Note: Just a reminder, The Barren Thorns has a Spotify playlist that I suggest. For each chapter published, there are 3-5 songs that set the aesthetic, somewhat. Really it's just a great playlist of rock songs. Each chapter's playlist starts with the chapter title song. Find it here: https://open.spotify.com/user/lilyfedorko/playlist/0CQIXOMPlBEiYe6Wa6xGzM?si=pzkoHmUJTIKNuoI7xW4p5Q - it's titled The Barren Thorns if you are to search it.

Please don't forget to vote and share if you enjoy it and I love comments! Whenever you find any typos, please let me know!

Let's rock and roll...

"Oh, God. This will never be normal," I groaned turning the cover of a tabloid away from me on the rack. I picked my gum and bottled water and pulled out my wallet.

"I know it's weird but it's usually best to ignore 'em." He reassured rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

In the 12 hours since we had left the restaurant, I'd packed up some clothes and everything else I would need, said goodbye to Ellen, gotten to the airport and somehow a tabloid already had my picture with Desmond on its cover. They were calling me the 'mystery date' at the moment but it was only a matter of time before my name was published. In fact, it was a little embarrassing that they didn't have it yet. I wasn't famous but I'm pretty easy to find as a writer.

We walked toward our gate. Because of adding me to the trip, the rest of the band had taken their jet and we'd managed to get first class seats on a slightly later flight. Desmond had a baseball cap and sunglasses on and I'd even been advised to pop a baseball cap on because word of us dating was going to spread like wild fire. Funny how when it is a rock star, one date suddenly means you're an item.

"You ok?" I heard Desmond say and he took my hand as he did so.

"Yeah," I responded with a grin. "This is just all happening so fast. It's hard not to be a bit nervous. Particularly because I can't think when you're around." I looked up at him but I couldn't see his eyes and therefore couldn't read his reaction to that statement.

"The emotional part is fast, I'll admit it. I'm definitely beginning to fall for you and I don't even know if you have any siblings but I can't help it. When I'm with you, I just feel so..." he trailed off and took off his sunglasses. He paused to kiss my lips. "I feel invincible. But we will take the physical slow. Not that I don't want you. Feck I want you." He pressed a kiss to my temple and I giggled as my heart raced and butterflies erupted. "But I also don't want to fuck this up." I looked at him somewhat in awe and he nervously returned my gaze.

"You make me feel really good, too." I kissed his cheek and marched him toward our flight for boarding.

🥧🎤📃

"Promise me," He ordered sternly looking me in the eye.

"Fine, I promise not to flash any of my body parts while you're performing." I whined pouting slightly. "Are you going to continue to ask this of me at each of your last three performances?" We had been on the road for 10 days already. So far, Desmond and I have spent a lot of time getting to know one another when he's not playing. When he is playing, I'm typically working on my article in the wings. It's been far more fun than I thought. The band is like a family and they've taken me in as one of their own. Last night, Genesis even said that she's never seen Desmond so giddy over a girl. Her words.

"Are you going to flash me every night I don't?" He challenged.

"Maybe," I put on my most innocent smile and he shook his head, chuckling.

"Now that's out of the way I have a surprise for you during tonight's show." He grinned sheepishly.

"During the show?" I asked confused. "Did you order me a pizza or something? That would actually be a really great surprise." I said reflecting on my sarcasm.