Chapter 7 - Overdose

When the ambulance arrived, the paramedics rushed into the base urgently. Bandit had already contacted the head of the base to allow the medics in when ever they arrived.

A pounding on the door was heard and Bandit rushed to let them in. With stretcher in hand, the paramedics rushed over to Jäger's bed, pulling the sheets off him. They performed a compulsory survey they had to do in every emergency situation. They checked his pulse and heart rate then jotted them down. They asked Bandit many questions about him since he was obviously unresponsive. They asked for his name, date of birth, any medical conditions and a few other things that were required before they could take him to hospital. Bandit answered them all quickly, knowing every detail about him. Plus his panicking sped him up too.

Shortly after, Jäger was placed onto the stretcher and lifted by two of the paramedics. They carried out of the room in a hurry, one paramedic staying behind to explain everything that would happen to Bandit.

"I'm sure your friend will be fine; or boyfriend, sorry if I'm mistaken," the paramedic began. Bandit couldn't help but blush at the word. 'Boyfriend' he certainly liked that. "You can join him in the ambulance if you'd like to support him," he offered placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Oh of course I will," without a second thought, he agreed. "Okay doke, let's hurry then."

Bandit left the room with the kind paramedic, locking the door behind him. On his way down the hallway, he saw a worried IQ standing by.

"Bandit," she called. He turned to her. "Is he going to be okay?" She questioned worriedly, a pained look on her face.

"I couldn't tell you sorry, but I have to hurry Mon. I'll update you soon," and with that he picked up his speed. IQ watched him as he left down the hallway. She preyed Jäger would be okay.

Approaching the exit, Bandit noticed the bright ambulance outside. They were carrying him up the ramp at the back, about to place him on the hospital bed he presumed.

He hurried over, using the handle bars for support, he climbed into the back of the ambulance. He took a seat in the cramped space right across from Jäger's face.

He stared at him and frowned. Placing his hand on his cheek, he felt how cold the poor man was. He stroked his chilled skin with his thumb, a tear slipping down his face. He rose from his seat, bending over to place a soft kiss on his cheek. It gave him a tingly feeling inside, it warmed his body and blushed his cheeks.

He sat back down and thunk for a moment. After that, he couldn't deny he had something for Jäger. This may have been a completely inappropriate time, but he knew he wanted to be with him. It just felt right in his mind and in his heart. After this was over, he knew the first thing he would do was ask him out on a date. Then he'd hope to share his first kiss with him. It's all he wanted and more right now. He felt settling down with a boyfriend could cure his depression, or surely help him with it.

————————————————————

The waiting room was the most nerve-wracking place in a hospital in Bandit's opinion. He sat on one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs with his sweaty hands cupping his chin, leaning his elbows on his knees for comfort. He was shaking slightly out of fear as Jäger's surgery would be so unpredictable.

A kind doctor came to see him a while ago, just before Jäger headed into theatre for his treatment. He explained to him how they were going to have to pump his stomach with some kind of tube to clear any remaining medication. The doctor said his chances of dying were practically impossible, but Bandit still worried. Even though he shouldn't have, he still thought about Jäger dying there on the theatre table, alone. His last words would have been "you dirty whore" and that was awful to Bandit. An insult would have been the last words he ever heard from him.

He put his hands together and shut his eyes tightly. In his head, he said a prayer to god, even though he wasn't religious he still wanted to anything he could to make sure Jäger would come out alive and well. Whilst he did this, he tried to clear the depression thoughts of Jägers potential death out of head, those would only make him believe he was going to die.

When he was done, he decided to get up and walk around as Jäger's surgery would still be another hour or so. He got up from the uncomfortable chair, butt numb from sitting too long but he'd just have to walk it off. Exiting the waiting room, he noticed a vending machine down the clean white hallway. He hated the chemical smell hospitals had, it made him a little light-headed and anxious. He couldn't really explain why though.

Approaching the vending machine, he browsed the options. He decided to get a simple chocolate bar. He was hungry, but didn't want too much to eat just in case nerves got the best of him and he just threw it all back up. Inserting some change from his pocket, he selected his option then waited for the machine to push it out. It had been ages since he ate chocolate, he was excited to taste the sweetness.

After grabbing his chocolate, he decided to just head back to the waiting room. All he could do was wait and hope Jäger would be okay. After all, he has a date planned when he gets better.

————————————————————

About an hour later, the same doctor Bandit had seen recently returned to give him the news. From first sight, he couldn't tell if that news was bad or good, his face was too neutral to tell.

"Mister Brunsmeier, I am here to inform you on Marius Streicher's condition," he began. A chill ran down Bandit's spine and his hands shook, palms all sweaty. "It's good news, Mister Streicher's treatment was successful and he is currently in a stable position resting on ward B," he informed and smiled warmly.

Bandit's jaw dropped. He felt a rush of pure happiness shoot through him like a bullet. He couldn't contain himself and practically dived onto the doctor to hug him. He wrapped his arms tightly around him, repeating 'thank you'. The doctor chuckled awkwardly and just let it happen. After all he had probably experienced many different reactions in the past.

"Can I go right now?" He asked excitedly. The doctor nodded with a smile and Bandit thanked him. He was over the moon and rushed down the hall to ward B.

Before entering, he put some sanitisation gel on his hands that was next to the door then proceeded. He approached the front desk and the woman behind it smiled and asked who he was here to visit.

"I'm here to see Marius Streicher," he smiled and rocked on his heels. "No problem sir, head on through," she gestured to the door and he thanked her.

He couldn't believe it. He was actually here. He was going to see Jäger for the first time after his surgery and he hoped they would be able to begin a fresh start.