Chapter 1 - Introduction

•Prologue•

Marius Streicher, one of the best engineers apart of the GSG 9; the elite Police Tactical Unit of the German Federal Police. He has been a loyal and hardworking member of the squad, willing to face up to any task that comes his way. His friends call him Jäger.

Working for a counter-terrorism unit was always gruelling, physically and mentally, but knowing his team will always have his back is enough for him to conquer any trouble. They have shut down countless terrorist plots around the globe for several years and throughout these years, operators have learned which teams they work best with and how their special gadgets would cooperate.

The operators apart of Jäger's squad were Monika Weiss, otherwise known as 'IQ', who specialised in detecting traps and electronics within an enemy base, Elias Kötz, otherwise known as 'Blitz', a rather humorous and goofy guy using his tactical shield, capable of blinding enemies for a short period of time so his team can capitalise on it. Finally, Dominic Brunsmeier or 'Bandit', a quiet and handsome man, with an unfortunate history of drugs and crime. He never spoke of his past and his position in the GSG 9 has helped him forget and move on with his life. He was very efficient in engineering, much like Jäger and electrical work that always came in handy for the team.

Most importantly, Bandit was always Jägers closest ally, and above all, his closest friend too. They would often hang out whenever they had a break off training or time off work. Jäger simply understood Bandit and grew closer and closer with him ever since he joined a few years back. He'd do anything for him.

Bandit was never the happiest of people, this was likely because of his depression. He had been suffering for many years and to relieve the pain he would often resort to alcohol or harming himself. Whenever he got extremely drunk or hurt himself, or if he cried himself to sleep one night, it had an awful impact on Jäger. He'd always try everything he could to help his friend because he truly cared for him, but sometimes he couldn't do enough to help and this hurt him a lot. The guilt would eat away at him, feeling responsible for not being with Bandit whenever he'd do these things, or not being fast enough to stop him, but Bandit always apologised and assured him it was never his fault, even if he didn't believe him.

Aside from Bandit's depression, they shared many more good moments than bad. Jäger would do anything to see his friend smile, many would say he loved him. IQ often teased them, cooing at them and making kissing noises and heart shapes with her fingers, expressing their "mad love" for each other. Bandit would seem unfazed, just brushing it off or giving IQ a tap on her arm, hinting for her to shut up, but Jäger would always blush and slump trying to hide his rosy cheeks in his jacket. IQ would grab and pull on his cheeks making the same cooing noises like a grandmother would do. She'd always express how her "babies were all grown up" like a proud mother.

Jäger never knew why he blushed. Maybe it was embarrassment, but Bandit never seemed embarrassed. More like annoyed or bored. Maybe he was over IQ's antics and learned to deal with them, but Jäger certainly didn't. He understood where she was coming from when she'd say they looked like a couple, but the things he did were all out of kindness and admiration for his grumpy friend. Jäger always found his grumpy ass cute, never admitting that of course.

Jäger was always attracted to men. He'd never seen anything in women before and had never been in a relationship with one. He used to date a guy who lived in France, apart of the GIGN, Gilles Touré, otherwise known as 'Montagne'. They met when the GSG 9 and GIGN came together in France to discuss about their alliance. When he first met him, he found him extremely attractive. They definitely clicked and seemed inseparable, but agreed to break up after a few months of dating in secret because of the struggles of being in a long-distance relationship. Both were extremely busy in their units and could never make time for each other, so they agreed it would be for the best.

A few years later and Jäger has been single ever since. He often wondered if the reason he kept blushing whenever IQ would tease them or even at the sight of Bandit was because he liked him, but he always saw him as his best friend. He often realised that he didn't know much about his friend really as he never spoke of his past and personal life, but Jäger rarely spoke of his either to be honest. Maybe he needed to know more about his friend to truly know if he liked him in that way. He did find him very handsome though.

His gorgeous blue eyes like the ocean waves rippling in his heart whenever he looked into them and his masculine facial structure would make him feel some type of way. His cheekbones and jaw line could cut him if he touched them.

Maybe he did have a thing for his friend, but this was something he'd definitely have to explore. Was he really in love with his best friend?

————————————————————

It was like any other Tuesday for Jäger and Bandit. Training from 8 am to 3 pm, then they were free to do what they pleased. Their training was extremely boring and uneventful today, the most they did was fire a few bullets into a training dummy, nothing new, so Jäger suggested they should go do something entertaining right after. Bandit grunted and stamped his feet lightly, seeming unamused, but nodded nonetheless. Jäger noticed this.

"Something up, Dom?" He questioned with worry in his tone. He placed his hand on his shoulder endearingly but Bandit shook it off. "What's the matter? I know something's up. We don't have to do something if you don't feel like it." He only wanted the best for his friend and to please him.

"-m fine, let's go I guess," he replied unamused, not really feeling up to doing anything right now. All he wanted to do was go home and kick his feet up in front of the television.

"We really don't have to if you don't want to, Dom. I can see you're not really up to it," he assured, but hoping he'd want to go with him.

"Mari, I'm fine. I said let's go," his tone was harsh and startled Jäger, but he blushed at the nickname nonetheless. He always found Bandit using his nickname whenever he was grumpy extremely cute.

"As you wish babe," he snickered elbowing him in the arm. He called him 'babe' to tease him, but he was having none of it. What Jäger didn't notice was a faint blush on his pale face.

They walked in silence, not awkward but comfortable silence. Jäger with a slight spring in his step, eager to have some fun with his friend and Bandit dragging his feet, a bored expression as always, but it would be nice to spend some time with Jäger, although he wouldn't admit that.

"So Mari," Jäger sprung up, surprised that Bandit was actually starting a conversation with him.

"Yeah?" He replied excitedly with a smile.

"How are things back at home for you? I've never really learned about your life when you're not with me," he chuckled ever so slightly and Jäger practically died inside a little.

"Well, uh- I'm actually not that interesting to be honest. I have a dog named Macy, and she's my best friend at home, but i'm hardly ever home at all so my mother takes care of her for me." Bandit listens carefully to him, interested in Jäger. He noticed how Bandit actually seemed like he cared and his little hums and grins would melt him inside.

"I mean, most of my time is spent with you, so there really isn't much to learn," he laughed awkwardly and scratched the back of his neck.

"Hm, I see," he smiled the smallest of smiles and this was the biggest sign of happiness Jäger had ever seen from him. "Got a wife back at home?"

Instantly, Jäger's mood was crushed as the question pierced his heart like a bullet. Why did it affect him so much?