Chapter 2 - Taken Aback

Bandit scratched his head awkwardly awaiting Jäger's response. He realised he was looking down and facing away from him. He seemed upset, but Bandit had never seen him upset before. He asked himself whether he should comfort him or not, he honestly didn't know what to do.

"Uh, Mari- you um okay?" He trembled slightly. He feared Jäger's reaction, unpredictable at this point.

Jäger wiped his eyes swiftly. He looked away to try and hide his teary eyes. Luckily, Bandit was oblivious to the fact he was crying.

"Uh y-yeah, I'm cool Dom. I just didn't f-feel right," he stumbled over his words like a child explaining to their parent how they got their 'boo-boo'.

"Are you sure? You seem pretty down, did I say something wrong? I didn't wanna upset you or anything." His expression remained the same old bored and unamused, but on the inside he felt some guilt for his friend.

"Yeah I'm cool, and n-no I don't have a wife at home," he replied with a fake smile. He hated that word, 'wife'. It felt wrong on his tongue, a bitter taste.

"Oh right," he paused thinking how the hell he'd reply. "Well uh, me neither if that helps," he chuckled quietly trying to lift his friend's mood. He didn't want to see Jäger upset because then he would be upset and Jäger's supposed to cheer him up, even though he'd never show how happy he made him feel.

Jäger was shocked that such a handsome and rugged man had no wife back at home. Surely he's had many women after him in the past. Maybe he was afraid of commitment.

He was such a closed book that Jäger found it difficult to understand many things about him. He only knew the surface well, but not the inside. There were so many chapters to be read, but all of them were hidden away behind his blank expression and dull personality.

As Jäger got way too far in his thoughts, Bandit tapped his arm rather roughly. This startled him and he moved closer to him so that their shoulders were touching. Totally a coincidence.

"Woah, I uh didn't mean to scare you Mari, tell me what's up. You've been acting weird ever since I asked you that question." This time, Bandit seemed genuinely concerned. His tone was much softer than usual and it held worry rather than boredom.

"Nah I'm fine, I just had to think for a moment." He tried his best to avoid the issue. Never could he reveal his sexuality to him. But that was what upset him so much, the fact that Bandit assumed he liked girls because really they know hardly anything about each other.

"Okay well, if you ever wanna talk about it, you know I'm always here to listen. I hate seeing you upset," he smiled, and for the first time it was an actual warm and genuine smile.

Jäger felt a rush of warmth in his stomach, little butterflies fluttering about. His cheeks grew warm and hands sweaty. For the first time, Bandit showed he cared about him and that is all he could ever want and more.

He stopped in his tracks, shuffling his feet and staring at the ground. It took Bandit a few more steps to noticed. He turned around and saw his friend had come to a halt.

At this point, he had no idea what to do. He stepped closer to Jäger, only a few inches apart. He noticed this and looked up a little, cheeks still flaming hot. He did the first thing that came to mind and wrapped his arms around Bandit.

Bandit didn't know how to react. He froze completely, a shocked expression on his face. No one's ever hugged him before. He didn't know what a hug felt like.

As the shock wore off, Jäger still clung on tightly. Bandit wrapped his arms around him ever so slowly, a little awkwardly not knowing where to position them. He was slightly taller than Jäger, so he decided to rest his chin on his head for comfort.