10

i walked downstairs that night, worst mistake ever. "we are eating dinner together" my mother spoke from the kitchen. "why?" i asked looking up from my book.

"because we are a family hayley" she sighed and started to cut up some vegetables.

-

we all sat in silence, the only thing you heard was the forks hitting the plates. i grabbed my cup and took a sip of my drink. looking at my brother who was messing with his broccoli.

"so, how is school?" my mom looked at tyler. he shrugged "college is an ass" he spoke up. "watch your mouth" my mom rolled her eyes and looked at me.

"it's good" i nodded quickly and looked at my dad who was just sitting there eating. "how's work dad?" i asked him. he looked up and smiled "it's great sweetie" i was always closer to my dad.

i nodded with a smile. "i got a call from the university i want you to go to hayley" my mom wiped her mouth. "oh." i didn't want to go to university it just wasn't my thing but i don't tell my mom that she would have a heart attack.

"they said they are interested in you and would want to meet you" she drank her juice, i looked at tyler who just shook his head. he knows i don't want to go to university.

"mom.. can i tell you something?" i put my fork down and down to my lap.

"yea of course" she smiled. i pushed out air and closed my eyes i'm getting ready for it. "mom, i don't want to go to university" i said quickly.

she didn't say anything but just shook her head and laughed "no, no don't break my heart hayley. you're going, you want to go" she laughed once again.

"mom, i don't want to. it's not my thing" she took me by surprise when she smacked the table. "don't break my heart!" she yelled.

"yea like you haven't broken all of ours" i said and rolled my eyes. "what are you talking about?" she squinted her eyes. "yea mom! i know about your little 'job'. hooking up with other guys?" i crossed my arms.

she looked defeated and sat back in her chair. "you broke us up already don't try and fix it" i got up from my seat and went up the stairs to my room. i slammed the door and locked it.

-

"i don't want to talk about it okay?" i got in the car and he took off.

"yea yea" he nodded and started to drive. "where do you want to go?" he asked me. i looked out the window and sighed "i don't know."

"my house?" he asked as he stopped at a stop sign. "yea sure" i nodded even if he wasn't looking at me.

-

i walked into his house, it was a comfy feeling. he lived alone, his house was in really good condition. it was lit up nicely not too bright but not too dark. it just gave me really good vibes. i stood at the entrance waiting for him.

he came in and took his jacket off and offered to take mine off. i nodded and he slid it off me putting it on the coat rack.

"want something to drink?" he walked to his kitchen i followed behind "sure."

he went to his fridge "we have water, juice, coca cola oh and orange juice!" he pulled that one out quickly. i laughed a bit "i'll have the coca cola" he nodded and pulled both out and poured me mine.

i took it and thanked him as he poured out his orange juice. "i didn't expect you to call me" he said while putting the juice away.

"same here" he looked at me and smiled. "how's your eye?" i walked around the counter. "still bruised" he laughed. i put my drink down and looked at his eyes "richie you didn't have to do it" i sighed while looking at his eye.

"i wasn't just going to let him do it. even if i don't remember much i know i did it for a good reason" he looked at me. i payed more attention to his eyes even though i knew he was looking at me.

i ran my finger over it a couple times, even if that did nothing. "did you put ice on it?" i finally looked at him. "yea but i felt like it did nothing" i groaned and went to his fridge. "ice helps the swelling dummy" i grabbed the ice tray. "have any bags?" i asked him.

he nodded and grabbed one from a drawer. i plopped some ice in the bag and returned back to his eyes. "hold it there, it will help trust me" i held it for a while but then he grabbed it from my hands.

"thanks, um we can watch a movie or like what ever you want" he offered.

"you're staying the night right?"

"if i can, then yea" i put my hands in my back pocket. "well of course you can, what type of question is that?"

we both laughed "i need clothes.." i sucked my teeth. "oh hunny you are about to look really good in my clothes" he winked. i rolled my eyes and smiled "yea i bet i will."

-

"told ya!" he smiled when i had on his old basketball shorts and his band tee. "i feel like i'm wearing my dads clothes" i laughed and turned away from the mirror.

"you look like a mom though" he winked. "thanks?" we both laughed "ill sleep on the couch" i said.

"no, no no no. i'm a gentle men you can sleep on my bed i'll sleep on the floor" i scrunched my brows. "why the floor?"

"because then i get to talk to you all night" he smiled. i giggled a bit "you're very weird tozier."

"i seem to get that a lot"

-

he made his bed on the floor. i was turned to the side of his bed holding the blanket up. we both agreed that it's time to sleep but it felt awkward.

tension.

"richie" i said hoping he was awake. "peaches" he said back.

"you can lay up here" i said. he chuckled a bit "do you want me to lay with you or are you just being nice?"

"shut up before i change my mind" i roll my eyes. he gets up and crawls into the other side of the bed. i look over at the kid he smiled looking at me.

"goodnight" i smiled.

"goodnight peaches"