Round 17

"I have to offer Zex something or he won't stop," Logan says as we walk through the doors to get some fresh air.

"He has everything. What can you possibly offer him."

"A round or two."

"What? You're crazy. You can't possibly be thinking to get in a ring with a guy like that. He will play dirty. You know that," Alex told me all about the difference between a boxing match and a street match.

"I grew up fighting with dirty guys like him. I think I can handle it Frey."

Maybe he can handle Zex but Ken? I know what's coming but Logan doesn't have a clue. The last thing I want is for him or Alex to be wrongfully accused. Ken can make that happen in a day now that he has the power.

"Fine but I am coming with you."

"It's best if you don't. It's not like fights at the club."

"That's exactly why I want to be there," I say not backing away.

"I'll make the call," he says and goes down row of stairs I go back inside and check my phone for any missed calls. I have a few from Henry so I call him back.

"Hey runaway princess," he says from the other line.

"I am sorry Henry I didn't want to leave especially after our night but I had to."

"Let me guess, Kane?"

"Alex needs me right now Henry," and so does Logan but telling him that won't help.

He sighs, "just come back to me soon. I need you to Frey."

"I always go back to you Henry," the three words are on the tip of my tongue but I can't get myself to say them. I tell him goodbye and hang up the phone.

I seat down and ignore the lump in my throat. Just a while ago I was fine. I had a decent life. One where no one was out to hurt me. Now I have gangster and a crazy ex after me. Not to mention I feel attracted to a guy who seems more complicated than a geometry problem when things with me and Henry are finally looking good. Everything fell on me all at once. I am doing everything to keep swimming and not drown.

Logan has to wait a couple of hours until a nurse finally comes and takes him to Alex room. I take this time to go downstairs and get some coffee or something. I stick with a hot chocolate and grab an extra one for Logan. It's four in the morning although in a hospital time doesn't seem important. I hear a baby cry in the distance as I take the stairs instead of the elevator. I've been on my ass all day I could use some exercise.

"Hey Lullaby," I stop on the first row of the stairs and turn to see him. He's smiling that pathetic smile.

"What are you doing here?" I ask not allowing myself to sound weak. He's my past and I have to remember that.

He runs a hand through his beard, "I am here to question your new lover. Things for his little brother don't look so good."

"He's a kid Ken, leave him alone."

"Who says I was out to hurt him?"

"You know Logan is his brother," I say. The smile fades when I mention Logan.

"You fucked him already Lullaby?" He says moving closer, I move up a stair.

"No. I am not with him," I tell him the truth.

"So who's the lucky guy in apartment B?" I am taken back by his words. Oh god. He has been watching me. I want to throw up. "He make you feel like I did?"

"Ken stop it," I say moving to the other side of the stairs.

He digs through his jacket and takes out his badge from the inside pockets. "I looked into every person surrounding you. Ella, Tom, Henry, Alex, Logan, Carlos... should I keep going?" I have never wished bad on anyone but god sometimes I feel like certain people deserve the worst to happen to them. Ken deserves it all.

"Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"Sometimes Freya I think I should but then I remember us together in a bed and I can't. I love you too much to walk away. That's why I did what I had to to be here and I'll do the same to have you back with me, where do I start Lullaby? Do I investigate your boss who probably has a lot of rotten crimes to pay or do I go after the little brother of Logan?"

I am back to the past. He has the power to the hurt the ones surrounding me. I know it before he says it that that's the prize I have to pay if I don't go back to him. He knows I'll go because I can't watch Alex be taken away like a criminal or Ella or anyone.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Does anyone know about me?"

"I never said your name," I say. He smiles and puts his badge away.

"Good. I'll just be an old friend who you knew growing up. Your friends can't suspect anything so don't fucking ruin it. Now let me go introduce myself to the Kane Brothers."

That was the moment I knew I would go back to hating my life. I go back to the waiting area and watch as Ken introduces himself to the nurse and asks for Alex. She laughs at something Ken says and I can only watch her blush without her having a clue that he's the worst kind of man she should be interested in. Ken leaves with the nurse and I can finally breath.

"You're tired?" I am startled when I hear Logan's voice.

"Not really, how's Alex?" I hand him the hot chocolate and he takes it.

"He's alive," he says. "You sure you don't need some rest?"

"I am good, thanks." I give him a small smile to reassure him. The nurse comes back to the front desk with Ken behind her. He looks over at me and Logan and begins to make his way to us. I take a deep breath and wait for him to approach us.

"Hello Mr. Kane?" Logan looks up at Ken who's extending his hand.

Logan takes it and shakes it, "Logan."

"I am agent Newman," he tells Logan and then looks over at me, "how are you doing Frey?" Logan looks over at me and then back at Ken. I get up as Ken moves closer to me and leans in for a hug. Once he pulls away he plants a kiss on the edge of my lips. I give a closed smile, "good how are you Ken?"

"Same as always, working. We should get going Mr. Kane. I have questions regarding your brother Alex."

Ken asks Logan to join him for a walk and they go on their own. Before they're out of my sight Ken turns and gives me a wink. I can only hope he keeps his word.