Trek (6)

Eight weeks.

Eight weeks since Jess had seen her brother.

Eight weeks since Jesse had made fun of her.

Eight weeks since he played another one of his dumb pranks.

Eight weeks since she was woken up at midnight by him just to watch one of those shows he likes.

Eight weeks since she had to deal with him.

And she missed him so much.

Jess stared up at the ceiling of her and Jesse's room, unmoving. She moved her eyes to the empty bed. She let out a sigh. She had recovered from the flu long before, days after Jesse, Petra, Lukas, and Olivia left. It would have been inconvenient to try to find them, so she waited. Actually looking forward to seeing Jesse, her twin, again.

But only three of the four came back.

Jesse was gone.

Petra and Lukas tried to convince her that they had done everything in their power to look for him. But she didn't listen. Jess wanted to look for her brother herself, miles upon miles away from Beacontown. She had even tried sneaking out once. But her friends wouldn't allow it. They told her it was hopeless.

Jess snapped. She said things she shouldn't have said. She even accused them of letting Jesse die.

Jesse... Dead.

Jess denied the mere concept of it.

Jesse couldn't be dead...

...Right...?

She let out a shaky sigh, sitting up. She needed something, anything, to distract herself. Jess stood up, shaking her sleeping legs awake. Pulling on a hoodie over her dark tank top, she slowly walked out of her soom, into an empty hall.

Thankfully, everyone else should have been asleep at this time. Jess walked silently down the hallway, listening for any disturbances beside her own, and made it to the order's living room. Jess sat on the couch, silently, turning on the TV and turning the volume low. She flipped through channels, before stopping at a show that Jesse used to drag Jess out of bed to watch... "One Punch Man" or whatever it was called.

As Jess watched, her mind drifted away from the screen. Jesse was gone. He really was gone. She could never see him again... Jess shook her head. She couldn't just accept it. Jesse could be fighting for his life right now, to get back home. He had to be alive. He had to be-

The sound of footsteps creaked from the stairs. Jess froze in place for just a moment, before scrambling for the remote. She could have sworn it was right next to her.

"Jess?"

She froze at the sound of Petra's voice. She knew Jess was here. She gave up on trying to hide her presence, and sank back against the couch, letting out a groan as Petra took a seat beside her.

"You doing okay?" The redhead asked.

"I'm just watching a show." Jess muttered.

Petra looked at the screen as a character pulled out a sword at something huge, quickly yelling something in another language.

"Isn't this one of the shows Jesse watched?"

"Yeah." Jess glanced around for the remote again.

"I never understood why Jesse liked these. They're so... weird." Petra stretched back against the couch.

"Okay, but why are you down here?"

"I went out for some midnight sword practice."

There was a moment of silence as both women paid attention to the TV. There was a moment of silence broken only by the show between them for some time.