The Lost Ones (1)

Pain.

Pain was all I could feel.

I was in a tube of some sort, made out of glass. These people with masks had released this weird purple gas in it, and right after that was when I felt the pain. I didn't remember anything before I woke up inside the tube, besides a glimpse of this strange, black, huge thing in the sky. Still, I couldn't focus on that because of the pain. I barreled over onto my side, my hands clutching my head. I heard cracking sounds. I was scared, I didn't know what was happening.

"The changes seem to be working," one of the masked people said. Changes!? What changes!? Suddenly, my arms started burning with pain. I brought them down to look at them. Black was spreading across them. Out of nowhere, I had a huge migraine, and I could feel tears streaming down my face. I wanted this to stop, I wanted to know what was going on.

"The experiment will be a success this time," was all I heard before plunging into the black of unconsciousness.

I woke up whimpering. I didn't bother to open my eyes, since they felt like they were on fire. I tried to sit up, but I felt something move on my back. Curious, I reached behind, to feel something. I yelped, bringing my arm back and darting forward. I heard something brush against the ground. Something was trying to catch me! I let out a scream, standing up and starting to sprint- only to hit a wall face-first. I fell onto my back, falling onto something that felt thick and scaly. The weird thing was, I felt it. Getting off of the thing, I poked it. I felt something again, but it stung. The pain in my eyes dulling, I opened them. It was dark, but I could make out something long and black. I realized it was a tail.

Panicking, I scrambled back into a corner, and it followed me. I soon realized it was my tail. Was I supposed to have a tail!? I also felt something behind me. I tried to turn to look at whatever it was, but it wasn't there. I tried to reach behind me again, and I still felt something. I tried to pull at it, and it hurt a little. Was it connected to me? I realized the ground was covered in water. I bent over, catching a glimpse of my reflection.

I was a male, with brown hair and slightly tanned skin. I had multi-colored eyes, one green and one purple. What I found weird was that there was this black on my face, spreading across where my eyes were, as if I was wearing a mask. I was wearing a white T-shirt, and I was wearing light blue jeans. The thing, or things that were behind me were wings. They were black, with a dark purple gradient towards the tips. I got on my knees and looked at my hands. They each had four claws on them, with black scales going up to my elbows. Was this normal? I didn't really know.

I looked at my surroundings. I was in a cell of some sort, with the only window being barred. I didn't know if i was supposed to be in here or not, but I didn't like it. I looked at the ceiling. Very high up, there was a covered vent. Maybe if I went in there, I could get out? I stood up, still looking at it. I spread my wings, getting ready to jump. I leapt, thrusting my wings down, giving me an extra lift. I grabbed onto the cover with my claws, and held on, hanging there. After a moment, It came off, sending me falling to the floor. I landed flat on my back, letting out a groan of pain. I threw the vent cover aside, stood up, and jumped again. I grabbed onto the sides of the vent opening and pulled myself in. it was a little difficult with the wings, but I made it. I started crawling until the entirety of my tail was in, and stopped for a moment and took a few deep breaths. I was something with wings, a tail, and claws locked in a cell, and I didn't know how or why. All I wanted to do was escape.

Crawling through the vents was pretty boring. It was hot and stuffy, and I moved slowly to make a little noise as possible, with my wings folded flat against my back. I came across some other vent openings with covers, and I slowly moved over them so I didn't fall through. As I crawled, I began to ponder. Who was I? Where did I come from? What was my name? I wanted answers, and soon. After a long time of aimless vent-crawling, I felt some air blow down on top of me. I looked up, spotting a vent that went upwards. Assuming it was a possible exit, I carefully stood up and pressed my arms hard against the sides. I slowly made my way up, ignoring the burning in my arms. It led up to a vent that went horizontally again- to be led outside. I slowly crawled up, landing on a roof of some sort. I looked around. I was on top of this facility in the middle of the night, covered in lights surrounded by this Mesa biome. I walked to the edge of the roof, looking down. There were guards. I gulped, backing away from the edge. How could I get past them without getting caught? I circled around the roof, seeing if there was any place without guards. In one particular spot, a guard was sleeping.

Bingo.

I spread out my wings and leapt. I glided soundlessly, but quickly. A little too quickly. I crashed into the ground, struggling not to let out a sound. Panicking, I turned around. Thankfully, the guard was still asleep. I immediately got up and started sprinting. I escaped!

I must have celebrated a little too soon, because once I made it over a hill, a deafening alarm went off. They must have found out I got out! I ran as fast as I could- which wasn't the fastest, because the tail and wings slowed me down. I looked straight forward, spotting a forest biome. Maybe I could hide there!

"Hey, stop!" I heard a voice yell behind me. I turned without stopping. Not to far behind me was one of the guards, holding a diamond sword. Swallowing, I turned back around and ran as fast as my legs could carry me. Out of nowhere, I felt a sharp pain in my tail. Not bothering to wonder what it was, i spread my wings. I had no idea how to fly, but it was worth a shot. I started flapping them frantically. I felt my feet lift off the ground, and soon my tail. I was flying! I started flapping harder. I steadily gained altitude, losing the growing number of voices behind me. I felt even more sharp pains in different parts of my body, but I had no time to worry about that. I still needed to escape. I gained altitude until I was at least 100 blocks off the ground, and I flew as fast as I could to the forest. While I was flying frantically, A caught glimpses of arrows flying past me. Not a moment too soon, I was flying over the forest biome. I decided to keep flying, because the guards would have a hard time catching up to me in the forest with all the trees in the way and the leaves blocking their view. No more arrows shot at me.

I flew for hours, occasionally changing directions in hopes I could throw off the guards' trail if they were still following me. I eventually grew exhausted, and I spotted a huge savanna plateau towering over a village. I didn't know if the people were friendly or not, and I didn't want to find out. I landed on top of the plateau, and found a small cave that was nice and dry. I walked over to the very back, and flopped down. I closed my eyes.

Screams. Cries. There were people running. I was running too, but I didn't have a tail or wings holding me back. Suddenly, the area got engulfed in a purple light. Things started floating up. Panicking, I grabbed onto a piece of a bridge and looked behind me. There was this huge monster. I had three heads, and one of them was producing the light that was sucking everything up. It had tons of tentacles protruding out of it. I tried to get out of the light, but I couldn't. I got closer to the thing's head, closer and closer until I got consumed by it.

I woke up screaming out in fear. I was on the ground in the cave I fell asleep in, no giant monster or people to be seen. It was all a dream. Light shined inside onto the floor. I stood up, brushing myself off. I walked out of the cave, standing right at the edge of the cliff that plummeted straight to the ground. I had escaped that facility. But then I turned my mind to the present. I had nowhere to go, or even if I did, I didn't know where it was.

I thought to myself, Now what?