Aetherman (11)

"Can you see it?" Jesse asked from below me.

I look another fool from on top of the tree. I couldn't see the relic anywhere. I carefully climbed back down, sliding down to the bottom, landing on my feet.

"It couldn't have gone that far." I told Jesse. "The cliff we fell down didn't have many ledges down it that could knock the relic around... I just got unlucky."

"Speaking of that, is your back okay?" Jesse asked me.

My spine still stung horribly, but not so much that I move. But I was really concerned about Jesse.

"How's your arm?" I asked him.

"You sound like Ivor." Jesse said. "My arm's probably not fine, but it is right now."

"What does that mean?"

"Whatever you want it to mean."

We started to walk again. I kept my eyes open for anything that stood out against the dark colors of the roofed forest. Still, there was nothing. Even through the thick canopy of the dark oak leaves, I could see that the sun was setting.

Great, I thought. Night time in a forest where it'll be pitch black with two injured people will be the best thing that happened to us this trip.

"Hold this."

Jesse shoved a torch into one of my hands. I almost got burned by it.

"Why do I have to hold it?" I asked.

"Because you have two working arms."

I let out a sigh, holding up the torch as the light was starting to wane. We continued to trek on, still looking for any signs of the relic.

"I don't think we'll find this thing unless we burn the whole forest down." I muttered.

"That's not a bad idea."

"Jesse!" I squeaked.

Jesse laughed. "I'm kidding."

"Geez, you have some pretty dark humor for a hero." I told him lightly.

He shrugged. "What can I say? Anyone who thinks I'm all sunrises and wool are wrong."

"I don't think anyone would think that with that claw mark."

"True."

Every minute felt like an hour. We didn't talk for the most part, and the last of the sunlight died away and gave away to night. It was almost pitch black save for the torch I was holding. I still had doubt that we were going to find the relic any time soon. It was silent in the forest- way too silent for me. A roofed forest like this one should be crawling with monsters. I kept my eyes open. Still no sign of the relic. As time wore on, my eyes started to feel heavy. I felt like I was going to fall asleep walking when Jesse spoke up.

"Do you hear that?"

I stopped in my tracks. At first I heard nothing, but then, in the distance, I could hear the growls, hisses and shrieks on Endermen. A lot of Endermen.

"Either we're going to get the relic or we're going to kill ourselves." Jesse whispered to me.

We started to make our way towards the sounds. I was barely breathing, as if doing so would alert them all of our location. I could hear the sounds getting louder as we got closer. After what felt like forever, I could see the particles of the Endermen in the distance. I felt as if I was getting pulled there- the relic was definitely over there.

We got closer. I could see that there was clearing, with a haunting of Endermen- a gigantic haunting. There had to be at the very least twenty Endermen. Usually they'd see the light of the torch and turn towards it immediately, but they were focused on something in the middle of the clearing. It was sky blue, with a pearly texture.