35

A/N: sorry for all the authors notes oh my God i feel annoying but I just wanted to let you guys know that I imagine Luke to be the same age as Whitney in this story, so like 7 or so years younger than he actually is lmao sorry if that's something that bothers you, i forgot he was a lot older irl so the college thing wouldn't have made sense ok bye

---

“Anything worth having is worth fighting for.”

---

(Meghan's POV.)

For some reason, I've been counting every circle that I make as I rub gently into Whitney's back. I'm at 26 so far, each one is followed by a single shaky breath from Whitney herself. I was extremely surprised that she spilled the complete truth out to me, without even knowing me that well, let alone what had unfolded between Luke and I. 

Which, is what I finally decided I was going to tell her. What I remember, at least. The only other person that knows is Cat, and of course Luke. I took in a shallow breath through my nose before pulling away from the hug. It was quiet for a while, aside from the faint thumping of the bass from the music downstairs. 

"Thanks for listening, even though I sounded like I was speaking through a cell phone with horrible service. In the rain. That was just stomped on. And ran over by a train." She stifled a laugh, quickly sniffling afterward. She wiped her face a few times with the back of her hand before pushing herself off the couch. I was about to ask where she was going when she leaned over to pull out another bottle of Coors Light from its case, which answered my question. 

"Want another?" She held up a second bottle and I nodded. She brought it over, along with her own, and sat back down beside me. I held the cold glass in my hand, screwing the lid off with a grunt. I took a few sips before clearing my throat. 

"I have something to tell you, if you're up for it." I kept my voice low. I was honestly surprising myself. I had tried my best to distract myself from this memory that I was now going to recall for so long, and I had did a pretty good job. Up until now, obviously. 

"Does it have to do with Luke?" She urged, after swallowing a large gulp of beer and making a subtle face. 

"Yes." I picked at the label on the beer before continuing. 

"As you can probably tell, I definitely do not want Luke in this house or anywhere near it." I started. I could already feel myself growing more anxious and overwhelmed by the nightmare of a story I was about to tell. 

"There is a reason behind this. Oh my God I'm sorry, I'm crying already. I just get so scared when I think of things like this. Anyway, I met Luke through Joey, I'm pretty sure you guys have met briefly. I met him when I moved here, and he seemed like a nice guy. Quiet, really reclusive, but I didn't think much of it. We hung out a lot together, Joey, Luke and I. Everything changed when we were all at the same party. Everything. Things happened, and I was left all by myself up in a room of whose I didn't even know or remember, just crying my eyes out. My friend Cat tried to comfort me, but I told her I was just better off alone. Everyone had just gotten really drunk and mistakes were made and - I'm not going to get into detail but you know what I mean. Anyway, after all that happened, Luke came into the room. He had a friend with him." My words escaped my mouth rather crackly and as whispers, but she nodded for me to continue.

"His name was Cole. Luke sat down beside me, I can remember him offering me a drink. I accepted it, and the three of us were just talking about what happened. He seemed really genuine about what he was saying, but that too all changed. Extremely quickly, might I add."