6

"The hardest part is waking up in the morning, and remembering what you were trying to forget last night."

---

(Joey's POV.)

I slammed my foot on the gas pedal, reversing my car at an alarming speed. I could hear the squealing rubber of my tires on the asphalt as I made a dangerously sharp turn in the middle of the road. I saw Sawyer swinging the front door shut out of the corner of my eye. I accelerated down the deserted road, peeking up at myself in the overhanging mirror. I cringed. Everything about me seemed so untamed, I had never been this infuriated before.

"Take a drive." Yeah right, take a drive with my fist into your fucking smirk covered face. Why was everybody out to get me? What did they even have against me? They knew I was already pissed off as is, so why did  they think it would be okay to make it worse? Fuck, I basically had no one. Except for one person, maybe.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, pulling over next to a gas station at the same time. I scrolled down my contacts until my finger met Luke's name. I pressed dial, eyeing the radio clock quickly before putting the phone up to my ear. It was 7am. Pray that he's awake, pray that he's awake. Soon enough, his voice filled the quiet car. It sort of, I don't know to really explain it any other way, but it sort of calmed me down. 

"Joey, what's up?" 

"Luke, this is going to sound really weird and out of the blue, but-" I was interrupted by the sound of a car honking.

I twisted my neck around to see that it was a rather large white van trying to get into the gas station. I held my hand over the receiver and craned my neck so it was out the window and pointing in the general direction of the driver. 

"Stop fucking honking at me! Take your fat ass, and make your way around me, it's not that difficult!" I shouted at him, getting a middle finger in return. I exhaled forcefully before resuming my conversation with Luke. 

"Joey, what's going on? What do you need?" His voice was frantic. At least someone gave a shit as to what I had to say. The thought stung a little, as I could feel tears threatening to break through my anger. 

"Just listen. I need a place to stay tonight, Sawyer and I got in a fight this morning and instead of punching him out I just ran, okay. I'm in my car and I just, I don't know what to do man!"

I slammed my hand on my thigh, feeling the tightness start to well up in my chest again. My emotions were all over the place, I just wanted it to stop. I rested my forehead on the steering wheel as I listened to Lukes voice. 

"Hey, it's okay, it's okay," I really wanted to ask him what his definition of okay was, because mine was far from where I was right know, but I held it back and continued to listen, "you can stay at my place tonight, but.." He started.

"But what.." I eased. 

"Sawyer was supposed to come over tonight." He sighed.

"Can't you just cancel?" I suggested, feeling slightly disappointed. 

"Well, yeah, but don't you think he would get mad that it was to have you over?" 

"What are you trying to say?" I felt so hurt. He preferred Sawyer over me. We have such a better friendship than him and Sawyer do. 

"I don't know. You can stay the night, but I'm not telling Sawyer that I'm cancelling." He explained. He was against me too? 

"You're going to hide me?" My voice started to shake again, I cleared my throat in a failed attempt to make it stop.