Prologue

1. Before I start, I do not like to provide character pictures or casts because some people find it hard to use their imagination after seeing them. So sorry for those that need visuals. However, I will provide small glimpses of them 😊

2. As for music, if there is one for a chapter, I only provide soundtracks because I find lyrics and all the singing very distracting.

3. My female characters are innocent and naive so try to be nice to them please.

4. I like my male characters as older men. But there will be no excessive age gaps for this story.

5. AND PLEASE! Do not take these criminal actions seriously. They are fictional and inspired by various books/films/manhwa. Pictures provided are also not mine.

*Chapters that seem to have a lot more mature scenes will have these "•" next to the chapter number*

This is my first story so it won't be perfect! Thank you and enjoy! *^*

*

Beth

I had to keep going. There was no turning back now.

The sirens pierced my ears as I ran for my dear life. The soldiers, the guards now all knew someone was attempting to escape. There was little time to everything that was happening faster than I planned. I needed to cross the border...alive.

What made this escape even harder was the cold temperature of winter. It was a harsh, ominous night and the only thing covering me was a thin, weary garment. The edges were torn not even reaching my ankles.

My eyes focused on the gates that were now much closer. The massive cornfield was the only barrier I had to cross.

Rustle. Rustle.

I flinched at the sound of leaves rustling beside me. There was someone here. Moments later, I heard the voices of the soldiers talking amongest each other. They gathered just a few feets away from me.

"Not even a mouse is to escape beyond these gates. Is that understood?"

There was irritation in his voice as one of them ordered the soldiers.

"Yes, sir!"

The sound of footsteps faded. It was only then I allowed myself to breathe. I sighed in relief and continued my path as soon as they passed by. When I finally reached the border, I immediately started to dig a hole large enough to squeeze through. Chunks of dirt stuck under my fingernails as I desperately dug.

I grew anxious and ocassionally looked back to sure no one came. My breaths soon became irregular and rapid. I struggled to get out from the hole that was a bit too small but it wasn't entirely impossible. When I thought I was finally free, I felt icy, cold fingers wrap tightly around my ankles and they pulled me back.

"Over here! She's here!"

A soldier found me and I was in pure panic. I twist and turned in his hold as I screamed. I couldn't go back. Not when I was just a few inches from freedom.

His hands gripped onto the ends of my collar to pull me forward but I instantly leaned to bite down as hard as I could on his arm. I felt my teeth dig deep enough on his skin to feel the spread of blood in my mouth. With his agonizing screams I was freed from his grasp. I kicked his face, allowing myself to cross over to the other side.

I breathed out in both relief and exhaustion. I was free. Free from this hell of a country. Because I escaped far from the main entrance, the Southern soldiers did not get to see me.

I had no relatives here nor did I have any in the North. My mother died after giving birth to me and my father abandoned me when I was 12 on Christmas Eve. It's been 6 years since that night. I had nothing for me to leave behind.

I noticed myself slowing down and my body was exhausted. At this rate, I wasn't going to be able to make it far. My eyes were closing on me but I didn't miss the sight of a house that was appearing in the corner of my eye.

There were also faint sounds of cars honking nearby. The towns and houses were close by. I needed help from someone. Anyone.

I knocked on the door 3 times and made sure it was loud enough for someone to hear inside. My legs shook clumsily and eventually I collapsed onto the floor.

It was fine, I had a place to rest for today. These people would surely help me. I begged they were people kind and generous enough to care for me. I tried opening my eyes and saw a large, dark figure hovering over me. And a small grin appeared on the man's face.

Why is he smiling?

That was all I remembered before I had blacked out.

*

Although I won't be able to thank all of you individually, please know that I appreciate the support from all of you.

Thank you