Chapter 20: How The Mighty Do Fall

Start from the beginning

Lucius Malfoy's figure was only distinguishable by the long blond hair that swept across his shoulders, his face hidden by a mask. Yet even with his face obscured, as if on instinct, Draco knew exactly who this man was, and it made his stomach turn in terror. Fear overwhelmed him, and his instincts gave in as he turned to make a dash towards the door.

He hardly got a few paces before a jinx his him square in the back, one that made it feel like his entire body was made of lead. He sank to the floor, unable to move, watching his father with his grey eyes wide. "What now?" He whispered, only just able to move his jaw and form words. "Are you going to kill me, Lucius?"

For a few moments the man simply stood, watching his son as if scrutinising him, expression hidden by the silver, skeletal mask. "No," he replied, voice deepened and changed by the mask. "Worse."

Draco watched, unable to even tremble with fear as more figures emerged from the dark cabinet. A few he recognised, but most of them were a complete mystery to him, which just ade them all the more terrifying. All wore the same dark, skeletal masks and ink coloured robes, all Death Eaters.

He felt the jinx be lifted and his body feel once again rather weightless. Instinctively he tried to scramble backwards, but realised his body wasn't responding at all.

Get up, Draco.

His father was using the imperius curse on him. Terror ripped through the werewolf like a blade, an icy feeling coursing through him from head to toe. What his father could do with that power over him, destroy everything he'd tried to build? No, he wouldn't let it happen.

No.

Get up now.

No.

You will get up, or your precious mate will die.

You couldn't kill Harry. He's more powerful than you'll ever be.

He will die, and then your mother will follow him.

Draco stopped at this, truly feeling sick now. His mother? Surely Lucius wouldn't kill her, his dear mother, his father's wife, the woman who would forever hold a special place in his heart?

You wouldn't kill her.

I would. Now get up.

Draco had never wanted to murder his own father more than he did now. Anger flooded him, red hot rage burning, fiery anger that was quickly put out by the fact that he was surrounded by upwards of fifteen Death Eaters. Lucius he could handle, the rest of them? He wasn't so sure.

Terrified and ashamed, Draco let himself submit to the curse, feeling his body react to it as he got to his feet.

He watched through his own eyes as they walked through the corridors, not in control of his own body, feeling like a Marionette, a puppet on strings. He felt sickened, weak, powerless to do anything as the Death Eaters wreaked havoc. Curses flew at unsuspecting students, teachers running to protect their students, but they were mo match to the dark wizards, Draco watching as they ran back and forth to evacuate all the students from the castle.

The Death Eaters destroyed portraits along the way, the paintings yelling and screaming as their friends who didn't have time to get to another painting were burnt and destroyed. Suits of armour fell to the marble floors with loud crashes, windows broke with the ear piercing shattering of glass. The place quickly descended into chaos, and Draco couldn't remember feeling this helpless in a long time.

Draco watched, fearful, as he realised where they were going. This corridor only led to one place; the Astronomy Tower. He used to go up there every now and again, to watch the sunset, to do homework, and even times when he fell asleep, he'd witness the sun rising over the forbidden forest. Now the place didn't hold the same familiarity, the same comfort. He briefly wondered if his father would make him jump off the edge of the tower, but as they ascended the stairwell, he knew there was more to this plan than throwing him off the edge.