Chapter 18: The Final Straw

A/N: sorry for the absence guys! I've been super busy with exams! I've still been updating my other drarry (hint hint, go check it out, it's good I promise?)

This was probably one of the hardest chapters I've ever had to write, for many reasons.

Trigger warning: attempted suicide

Draco couldn't say he was excited to return to Hogwarts.

He'd recovered for the most part, and was feeling better than he had in a long time. His strength seemed to be replenished, and he was able to cast spells again, to a higher level than he'd been able to all year. He was impressing even himself with his newfound ability, which, in the back of his mind he found rather sad. These sort of spells he'd been practicing were able to be cast with little difficulty by a talented fourth year.

With his wand in hand though, most side effects of casting magic had disappeared. No more headaches, spontaneous nosebleeds, coughing fits that would cause him to choke. He was more than happy to sacrifice his wandless magic for the time being if it meant being able to live pain-free.

He was still sad to be leaving Grimmauld Place. The house had become more familiar to him than his own Manor ever was. The dark halls were his to prowl, the locked rooms his to open and explore. He was allowed to go wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted, instead of being locked in his bedroom.

So it wasn't too odd when he felt rather sad, hugging Remus goodbye before he was to leave for Hogwarts. He buried his face in Remus' shoulder, inhaling the older werewolf's scent. "I don't want to go," he whined miserably, leaning away, Remus' hands on his shoulders.

"You look after yourself, alright?" Remus murmured. "Send me owls, keep me updated."

Draco nodded, pulling the bag he'd brought with him onto his shoulder. "Sure. I'll see you soon," he gave the werewolf a smile, Remus replying with a tired one of his own.

******

Draco was all too eager to get out of Professor McGonagall's office, who wasn't particularly happy with him after he'd managed to kick ash over her carpet from stumbling ungracefully out of the fireplace. He'd always hated floo transport and had wanted to be out of that fireplace as quickly as possible, resulting in him turning McGonagall's carpet a nice, sooty black.

He continued down the hallway, yawning quietly to himself, familiarising himself with the halls once more. Classes were being held at the moment, lunch would be in half an hour. He had enough time to go and unpack his things before lunch, and then return to classes for the afternoon.

Draco found that everything in his and Harry's common room was exactly the same. If he didn't know better, he would have thought that no one had been here at all. His gaze flickered up towards the staircase that led to Harry's room, and a sharp pain through his heart served as a cruel reminder they still weren't on speaking terms right now.

He bit his lip, determined to make it up to Harry somehow. It would take a toll on him, and he wasn't sure he could handle it if this argument between them continued, he couldn't live with his mate being angry with him. For a moment he cringed in horror, feeling bad for the werewolves that were cursed to an unrequited love, an obsession with someone who hated them, as that's what the curse did.

After putting away the meagre amount of possessions he had taken to Grimmauld Place with him, he changed into his familiar green and black school robes and left the common room.

The halls were beginning to fill up with people again, some of them giving him second glances as they recognised him, probably wondering where he'd been.