Chapter 20: How The Mighty Do Fall

A/N: second last chapter of this story! After this will be a short, sort of prologue chapter, and then a chapter for title suggestions for the next book. Hope you enjoy this chapter, it clears things up a bit, I hope you'll be surprised.

Harry landed at the front gates to the castle, seeing crowds of students outside, all of the, looking terrified. Teachers bustled around, trying to calm the younger ones who were crying and weeping in terror. Harry looked around in shock, eyes once again returning to the green wispy Mark hovering above the castle like some glorified death certificate.

"Harry!" Someone, a girl, screamed. He turned, seeing Hermione running towards him.

"What happened?" Harry asked urgently, Ron following closely behind the bushy haired girl.

"Death Eaters got in," Hermione said through choked breaths, her eyes full of tears that shone in the moonlight. "We don't know how. We've been looking for Draco everywhere, we can't find him."

Harry's heart sank, panic surging as he tried desperately to locate the werewolf, somewhere, anywhere.

He wasn't in the crowd. The absence of a few others caught his eye as well, noticing a lack of Dumbledore and Snape milling around in the grounds. A growl ripped its way out of his throat, realising they all had to be back in the castle. He turned and ran towards the doors without another word to Hermione or Ron, throwing them open and stepping inside.

He felt his fangs form over his bottom lip as he looked around, drawing in a deep breath to try and pick up Draco's scent. It lingered, but was stale, clearly having been there for awhile. Frustrated, he dashed up the steps and through the school, finally catching a trace of the scent, leading down a corridor that only led to one place. The Astronomy Tower.

***An hour previous***

Whisper's infected Draco's mind like a poison, a toxin that refused to leave his bloodstream, like a disease that threatened to drive him off the edge. The same voice, that low, grumble that he recognised so dear,y but could never place or pin upon a person echoed through his skull, tormenting him into bouts of misery and despair.

It was always the same thing, still the same thing. Fix the cabinet. Draco didn't want to go anywhere near that thing, that tall dark object seeming to have only been placed there to ruin his life and eat away at him.

Regrettably Draco found himself walking towards the Room Of Requirement not long after Harry left, dark thoughts swirling through his mind as the voice thrummed like the incessant beating of a drum. It was never ending, repeating over and over, driving him insane. He would fix that damn cabinets if just to get the voice to stop.

The room was just as cluttered as always, the cabinet standing tall and imposing, as if it knew what torment it was causing and was proud of it. Draco scowled at the object before turning his gaze to the numerous books piled around it, picking up one that he'd left open, and beginning from where he'd left off.

Minutes ticked by as he spoke ancient words under his breath, weaved magic with his mind, building up the connection of the cabinet with every syllable that fell past his lips. The magic flooded from him into the object as he sensed the connection becoming more and more stable, reliable.

He spoke the last incantation, taking a few steps backwards to stare at the cabinet, waiting for something to happen. The voice abruptly stopped halfway through one of the sentences, cutting off and leaving his mind totally blank, eerie and empty feeling.

"Well then?" He asked, whether to thin air, the voice or the cabinet he didn't know. "Anything at all?"

A creaking noise sounded, and he frowned in a mixture of fear and curiosity as the cabinet door swung open. As soon as he could make out the figure, he wished he hadn't asked.