Chapter 16: Felix Felicis

A/N: sorry for my absence guys! Enjoy!

Harry awoke to what he usually awoke to every single day. Darkness. The blackness was drowning, cramping, yet still somehow comforting.

He had to admit, sleeping in a coffin wasn't the nicest thing ever. It reminded him greatly of sleeping in the cupboard under the stairs in his younger years at the Dursley household, where he regularly had nightmares, became terrified of the dark, and was also quite claustrophobic. Getting a good night's rest without the coffin was nearly impossible, though.

He pushed the lid open with his foot, blinking tiredly at the ceiling now visible above. A few cracks ran through the stone, Harry tracing them with crimson eyes for a few seconds before becoming bored and sitting up.

His room was a mess. Clothes were strewn across the floor, his desk was covered in half written essays and crumpled up balls of parchment. A few quills and ink bottles lay here and there, as well as random trinkets. His windows were locked and bolted shut, and were pretty much never opened, cobwebs evidencing this fact as they had long formed, and had been left largely undisturbed.

Deciding that it would be better to not get dressed in the dark, Harry snapped his fingers as he got out of the coffin, causing the candles in the room to illuminate the once dark room in a dim, amber glow.

After pulling on his robes hastily and quickly, he stumbled down into the living room with a bottle of red liquid in his hand. On the coffee table, like his desk, sat many pieces of parchment and unfinished essays, most of which were Draco's, the boy's neat cursive written across them. Harry sat down for a few moments, sorting through them, before finding an apparation note stating the test was today.

He knew he'd easily pass, but seeing the words scrawled on the parchment still made him groan loudly. He simply couldn't be bothered.

******

Harry was stalking his way to his first class of the day. It was odd, walking on his own. Usually a tall, white haired figure accompanied him, friendly conversation and sometimes even laughter coming from the two. Not today though, and probably not for awhile.

Harry was a more of a mess than his living quarters on this particular morning. His hair was crazier than normal, and without mirrors, he didn't have a hope in hell of fixing it. He'd accidentally put Draco's tie on instead of his own, and had only noticed when he was halfway down the corridor, seeing a green and silver tie on his chest instead of the scarlet and gold one he was meant to be wearing. Luckily, no one had seen him and he'd been able to go and change it. He was just glad he'd noticed; as he doubted that would be fun to explain to his clueless housemates.

Harry didn't eat in the Great Hall anymore, so whenever mail came, Hedwig always found him on his way to class instead. He hardly flinched when the snowy white owl landed on his shoulder without warning, her large yellow eyes watching him affectionately. Harry smiled at the bird, taking the few letters that were tied to her leg. After ruffling her feathers, she flew out the nearest window and back up to the owlery.

Harry turned to the letters clutched in his pale hand, flipping through them boredly. Only one caught interest.

A worn piece of parchment had been folded in half, partly ripped and stained with what looked like water. The vampire raised an eyebrow, seeing his name scribbled ungracefully and cryptically onto the front of the parchment. He opened it, seeing the familiar, almost illegibly untidy scrawl of none other than Hagrid.

Dear Harry,
Last night, Aragog died. I'm sure you remember him from your second year. He'd been growing weaker all year. I'll be burying him this evening by my hut, and I was hoping you, Ron and Hermione could come down with the invisibility cloak.
Hagrid.