Chapter 5: The Return To Hogwarts

A/N: hey guys, hope you enjoy this chapter! Things will steadily start to get more action packed from here on (at least I hope so).

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter.

The noise in the Great Hall was deafening, the hundreds of students all waiting eagerly for the feast, talking loudly. For Draco it was a total nightmare, sitting as far away from anyone he knew on the Slytherin table, trying to ignore the ringing in his ears.

The sorting took up the same boring process, terrified looking first years sitting down on a stool and having the Sorting Hat placed on their heads. It would yell one of the four houses and the hall would break out in applause as the child went to their respective house's table.

Draco was scanning the teacher's table, eyeing up the new man sitting there. He raised an eyebrow, before locking gazes with his godfather, who was watching him carefully.

Once the sorting had finished, Dumbledore stood and cleared his throat. "Welcome, students and staff, to another year at Hogwarts! I hope you've enjoyed the marvellous feast prepared, and, as per usual, some minor changes have been made to the staff. We welcome back Professor Horace Slughorn, who will be taking over the post of Potions Master for this year."

Whispers of confusion ran around the hall, Draco's frown deepening as he locked gazes with his godfather, eyes full of confusion. He winced as he tried to reach some sort of telepathic communication with the man to make him explain, but he immediately regretted it as a sharp pain ran through his head.

"And Professor Snape will be taking over the Defence Against the Dark Arts position for this year. Now, onto the rules for the first years, and a few other students I must admit. The Forbidden Forest, is, as always, out of bounds to all students."

Draco tuned out, glaring at his godfather. He wanted to know what was going on, and why this random man had taken his position.

******

The majority of the walk back to their shared dorm was silent, Draco frowning at the floor as he walked, Harry knowing he was thinking and not wanting to disturb him.

The black wolf on their portrait had it's teeth bared at them as they reached it, harry ignoring it and muttering the password, holding the door open for Draco.

"I'm just going to unpack and go to bed, I'm really tired," Draco said, massaging his forehead, waiting and hoping to be rid of the pain soon.

"Okay," Harry nodded, wrapping his arms around Draco neck and leaning in, kissing him softly. "Goodnight."

Draco smiled, kissing Harry's cheek before ascending the staircase to his bedroom, pushing open the door and managing to cast a lighting spell, watching as the candles lit and cast a glow over the room. His bed was made, his raven sitting in its cage against the outcropping in the wall, his trunk at the foot of his bed. His desk hadn't been touched, still covered in books and random pieces of parchment.

After unpacking and letting his raven out of its cage, he climbed into bed and pulled the duvet over himself, snapping his fingers and watching as the room was cloaked in darkness. Exhaustion and a worryingly bad headache slowly forced him to shut his eyes, feeling himself slip quietly into unconsciousness.

******

The halls of the house were dark, but not so that Draco couldn't see. The house looked old, wallpaper tearing, floorboards rotting and creaking beneath his uncertain footsteps. There was no noise, he couldn't sense any other presence.

Slowly he neared the end of the corridor, finding himself standing at a window, a spiralling staircase leading up to the second floor on his left. It was raining outside, he could see the small drops of water running off the glass, yet he could hear no sound of it.