«Chapter 35»

«Chapter 35»

«Daryl's POV»

I couldn't decipher it. Why would Abigail help me so easily? Was it because I confessed my secrets without being asked or was it because I said the three words that I'd thought would never come out my mouth? She wanted me to find them on my own so why did she lead them to me?

Maybe it was just a coincidence. Maybe I have a twisted mind that makes me break down at the right moment. If I see my dead brother taunting me when I'm in distress, yeah, I think I have a twisted mind.

Would Abigail come for me too? I only wished she would so I'll have to ask her tonight. Carol hasn't visited, but maybe it was because I didn't clarify what we had.

Maybe. Maybe was used too much to debate. I overused it and I know many others have too.

All I could do at the moment was think. I didn't think about Abigail's death, but how I could see her again. I wanted Mika to see her too. Hell, I wanted everyone to see her, but I don't know if they'll cherish it as much as I would.

---

I was ecstatic when night came again. We were camped out near the woods with little food left. Our numbers had decreased to about eleven. All of my close family was still alive while we lost a good bit of Woodburys. There was only three left and they seemed to grow closer to us afraid they might end up like their friends.

I finished my dinner and looked at Rick as I set my plate down. "I'm going walk around for a bit. Check the perimeter," I sighed grabbing my crossbow. Mika was on the other side of me nibbling on a cracker.

"You don't want anyone to come with you?" he asked starting to rise. "Nah, I wanna go by myself," I said placing the strap over my shoulder. Rick knew what that meant and sat back down to finish his meal.

I looked down at Mika and touched her cheek lightly before heading out deeper in the woods. I was going to make a round to check the perimeter before doing what I intended just to be safe.

I placed a bolt to attack and pressed the stock of the bow to my shoulder. My eyes scanned the area looking for any threat only finding trees and shrubs.

I finished my loop around them and disappeared deeper into the woods. I finally came across an open area that gave me a clear view of the stars above me. I hurried to get to the middle. I lay my crossbow down before following beside it.

I placed my hands behind my head and took in the cold, night air. I was never able to do this at home especially with Merle there. Every time I'd admire something, it had to be a girl or some alcohol or he'd scold me for it.

"Abigail, can I see your face. I know that I already asked for something, but if you just let me see you now, I swear I won't ask again," I sounded like a child begging for a new toy even though he just got a hundred dollar bike.

"Well, it's about time. I thought you never were going to ask," I heard behind me. My head whipped back to see a figure standing by the trees. My body jolted to a standing position when I realized my wish had been granted.

I ran to her to embrace her, but stopped suddenly when I remembered Merle didn't contain matter. What if she was the same way? She gave me a confused look as I raised my hand to touch her cheek.

My fingers then grazed her warm skin. I pressed my whole palm to her face to relieve my curiosity. "Oh, Abigail," I said pulling her into me. She wrapped her arms around my back and squeezed me tightly. I tangled my fingers in her hair as I pushed her face into my shoulder.

She was real. She was actually dead, but she stood here alive. This was more than I asked for. This was more than I could've hoped for.

I pulled away after a few minutes of holding her. I then pressed my forehead to hers like I did when she was dying. "I'm so sorry, Abigail. I should've stayed with you," I whispered caressing her cheek.