«Chapter 10»

«Chapter 10»

I opened my eyes to stare at a yellow ceiling. I rose on my arms then realized I still had the wound on my stomach. I looked down and pulled my shirt up. There was a bandage wrapped around my stomach. The knife entered towards the left of my abdomen and not in the center. I breathed a sigh of relief then glanced around.

"I wouldn't move to quick if I were you," I heard a familiar voice say. I looked towards the corner of the tent and saw Daryl with a book covering his eyes. "It was you," I said. "Yep and now you owe me," he smirked as he rose from his sitting stature. "Owe you?" I said confused.

He laughed and then left the tent. I tried to stand up without causing pain, but I failed. There were crutches leaning on the side so I took them and rested them under my shoulders. I remember using these when I was a kid from breaking my foot jumping off a trampoline so it wasn't a struggle to move.

I pushed away the plastic curtains and emerged from the tent. When Carl caught an eye of me he ran towards me and gave me a hug, but was careful not to hurt me. "Hey, bud. Did you finish it?" I smiled as I ruffled his hair.

He nodded his head and grinned up at me. I turned towards his father who was sitting on a log and said sympathetically,"Thanks, Rick. I guess we're even now." His eyebrows furrowed together as he smirked,"That's between you and Daryl. He's the one that saved you and did all the medical work. You know you're always welcome here."

I cocked my head at him and then looked at Daryl who was loading firewood onto the flame. Carl let of go of me and went back to peeling potatoes.

Daryl walked back and forth between the fire and the pile of the wood. I hobbled over to him and said,"I didn't know you were so handy with medical supplies."

"Well, I just brushed up on that book of yours and you might want to go change your bandages," he said not looking at me as he worked. "I don't owe you because I saved your life when I took that shot," I explained. "Well then, I guess you don't have to pay my phone bill this month," he smirked.

I snorted and skipped to the tent that I just emerged from. I had realized that it was my tent that I had been sleeping in. I entered and sat down on a blanket that was laid out. I placed the first-aid kit on my lap and flipped open the lid.

"Hey, Abigail. Do you need any help?" It was Maggie standing in the doorway of my tent. I smiled at her and said,"Oh, no, but thank you."

She sat down next to me and watched me unwrap the old, blood soaked bandage. "Daryl watched you get stabbed. He wanted to see if you'd give us up."

I chuckled at the comment and said,"Not hard to believe. I see him as the 'not to rush into things' type." She smiled then it faded as the entire bandage came off my stomach. There was a huge slit on my left side. It was surrounded by red and blood. I wiped it down with a damp rag and wrapped a new cloth around it.

"He carried back you over here. He walked more than a mile. We tried to help him, but he didn't let us. He then set up your tent and didn't leave your side. The only time he ever left was when you woke up."

I smiled at her. She stood up and left me to sleep. I laid my head down on the pillow and watched my world go black.

«Daryl's POV»

The sticks I gathered as new arrows were serving me well. I tried to copy the exact professional ones and they were working. The fletchings were made of Rick's old driver's license he had in his wallet.

I heard footsteps coming towards me on my right. I turned my head to see Glenn. "What's up?" I said going back to carving. "Rick just wanted me to check on you. What'ya doin'?"

"What does it look like?" I said after I pointed the tip of the arrow at him. He smiled and sat down on a log across from me. "What about you and Abigail?" he said while staring at the ground. I ran my tongue around the rim of the bottom set of my teeth slowly,"What do you mean?"

He cleared his throat and said in a frightened voice,"I mean... You and her are kinda a thing." I gave him a death stare and then started to laugh. He was afraid to smile, but then slowly let it form on his mouth. That's when I grabbed his throat and smirked,"Don't get any ideas that I have interests in anyone."

I threw his neck in the opposite direction that I was walking from and left him rubbing it as if it was to comfort. I grabbed my arrows and left to my tent.

What is going through this hormone infested kid that makes him think that Abigail and I are a 'thing'. I'm about to choke him if he doesn't shutup.

"Hey, Daryl, come see for a second," Rick called from the SUV. I jogged over to see what he needed. "We need to move. We're about to run out of gas. I say we should ride what ever this thing has left and try to find some more shelter," he said as he tapped the hood of the vehicle,"Could you bring that up in the meeting tonight. I'm only making suggestions." I nodded my head and walked to my tent.

I glanced towards the fire and saw Abigail teaching Carl how to draw something. They were laughing, but we're concentrated at the same time. Abigail would sometimes mark on Carl's paper and would show him how to hold the pencil for different effects.

I shook my head and threw my weapons inside my shelter before walking in.

«That Night»

"Rick says he wants to move. I think it's a reasonable idea. It's better than just sitting here waiting for an army of Walkers to come," I announced. "Rick's right. We can't just sit here in the middle of the woods. We leave first thing in the morning," Tyreece said.

Everyone stood up and dispersed while I stayed and took watch. I fiddled with one of my arrows as I watched the flames. Glenn came and sat down next to me.

"If you dare try to fucking apologize, you'll get it worse," I said with a serious look on my face. He started to chuckle,"Let me take watch."

"No, I want to," I said still staring at the flame. Glenn knew not to argue so he left me be.

«Abigail's POV»

There was an army of them coming at me in waves. I swung my sticks and shot my pistol trying to kill them. The feeling of death was crawling closer to me.

For some strange reason, all the cannibals disappeared leaving me gasping for breath. Then, there was a lone one slowly shuffling towards me. The Walker became more recognizable as it came nearer. Daryl's rotting face was gnawing at me. My legs failed to keep me standing as I stared at him. Tears rushed down my face when I realized that I couldn't keep the group alive. Carl, the kids, Rick, Michonne, Glenn, and everyone else would be dead before my eyes and it would be my fault.

«Daryl's POV»

Screaming emerged from Abigail's tent. I rushed over thinking of that the worst was going on. I couldn't imagine her being attacked by Walkers, but it was possible.

I burst through the curtains and saw her panting. She was kicking and screaming as if there was no pain in her stomach. "Get away! No! Kill me now!" she would scream. I knelt beside her and tried to comfort her.

Rick came in with his pistol raised. "What the hell is going on?" he asked. "Just a nightmare. She'll be fine," I reassured. Rick nodded his head and left. I then saw Carl outside standing with a worried look on his face. Soon, he joined his father.

"Abigail, stop! You're opening up your wound!" I tried to reason. Blood was leaking from her shirt, but she kept kicking and screaming.

Abigail threw her hands on her face and began to weep. "No. No. Get the fuck out," she whispered. I didn't know if she was talking to me or the people in her dream. "Alright, I'll go keep watch," I lied. I never left her side like the night before.