«Chapter 20»

«Chapter 20»

"Barricade the doors," Daryl told me. I grabbed clothes racks and shelves and put them against the glass doors. I moved and stacked tables to the windows and watched them come to the door while Daryl did the same.

"Maybe there's a ladder in the back that leads to the roof," I told Daryl. He nodded his head and followed me back to the inventory. The metallic taste of blood from the bodies filled the room.

The was an 'employees only' door that led to an empty lot except for a few cannibals roaming around. They caught a whiff of us and started to charge. I looked at the back of the building and didn't see a ladder. I checked the side and saw a gray railings. I rushed over to it and grabbed the cold, metal bars.

Daryl followed closely behind as I raced up to seek safety. I finally took a step on the roof and watched Daryl do the same. He looked at me then ran over to the front door wall of the building. He then stared down at the swarming walkers raising their hands as if they could reach us.

"There's an army. They must've heard the gunshot," Daryl proclaimed. I paced the roof and tried to think of a way to get out of this dead end. "There's no way out," Daryl said stopping my thinking. I looked at him with a defeated look. I knew that this might be the last of us, but we can't give up.

An idea then came to mind. I checked the perimeter of the connected stores, but found no other ladders. "We're stuck here. Son of a bitch!" I whispered.

I stood beside Daryl and watched the Walkers fester at the doorway. "Maybe, they'll wonder off after they forget what they are looking for," he sighed.

I stepped back and sat down on the roof. It seemed to be made of combined gravel held together by some sort of cement. Sun was starting to set and we had no warmth except for the clothes we've collected. Daryl took off his booksack and unloaded some jackets. He put on a few then gave some to me. I did the same with my blankets and gloves.

He took out a canister of water and handed it to me. I had a small sip then gave it back to him. I took the ponytail out of my hair and ran my hand through it. I wrapped the rubber around my wrist and sighed heavily. "I've never seen you with you're hair down," Daryl smirked slightly.

"It almost never is," I sighed letting my shoulders hunch over. He grabbed one of the fleece blankets and handed it to me. I took it and placed it over my shoulders. I then changed my mind and took it off to fold it to where it would make a sturdy pillow. I rested my head on it and watched the sky for the rest of the night not saying a word to the man next to me.

«The Next Morning»

Sunshine hit my eyes. I hated waking up to light that almost blinded me. I sat up and used the edge of my fingers to get my eyes back to normal.

I then realized where I was and didn't see Daryl. "Daryl, where are you?" I said. I crawled over towards the army of Walkers and didn't see them clustering over a body. There wasn't many of them left.

All of his things were gone. My stuff was still where I left them and so was what I collected. "Daryl! Daryl, where are you?" I said a little louder. I was starting to get worried. Was this his chance to get rid of me? Was I holding back the group? Did they even want me there?

I packed up frantically and loaded everything on my back. Tears were starting to fall as I ran every possibility through my head. I checked the ground before I touched it. All clear.

Once my feet hit the concrete, I ran in the direction of the camp. I sprinted a few yards and knew I was safe from death. I slowed my pace and continued to walk closer to the camp.