«Chapter 6»

«Chapter 6»

Pain shot through my body every time Daryl hit a bump in the road. "We're almost there," he smiled as he speed to the prison

We got there and Maggie opened the door for us. "What happened?" she screamed when I got out of the car clenching my left shoulder. "Oh, just a Walker bite. I'll be fine," I winked at her. She raced to catch up with us. "You need to stop making jokes like that. It's scaring the shit out of me," she sighed. I shrugged my good shoulder and kept walking to my block.

We got through the corridors and found Rick. "I guess it's the same procedure?" he smiled. I nodded my head and slowly lied down on my bed. "What was it?" Maggie asked when she got in the room. "Some random guy with a pistol. He wanted our food and threatened to kill me if he didn't get any. Abigail shot him in the head only after he got her in the shoulder," Daryl explained.

"Is it the same one that killed Carol?" Maggie said with her arms crossed. Daryl didn't answer so I decided to say,"Were not sure. Maybe. I hope so."

"You know what you have to do," Rick smiled at me as he pulled out the rum. I took it and made a few glugs. I then bit down on my pillow and grasped the cold bars of the bunk bed. The tweezers pierced my skin. I tried not to scream and my eyes were closed tight. I then felt the tweezers exit the wound. I looked up and saw a small bead in the palm of Rick's hand.

"I guess we're even now," I tried to chuckle. "Not quite. I was a stranger and you still helped me. This is different. If I was Daryl and you were armed, I would of gunned you down, but where would I be. Probably without a leg," Rick said as he cleaned the wound again and bandaged it.

I slowly got up and looked at everyone. "I don't think you should make a run tomorrow. Maggie can take your shift," Rick said as he got up. "No, I can make it. Maggie has to stay behind and help you fix the rest of the fence," I protested. Rick shook his head and sighed,"You need rest and Tyreece can help me."

I lay back down on my pillow and watched everyone else leave besides Daryl. He raised an eyebrow at me. "What?" I said a little annoyed. "Nothing. I see you're finishing up," he said as be pointed to the painted walls. I nodded my head and examined my work. The back side of the wall was day and on the other side with the doorway was night. Sunrise was to my right and sunset on my left. On the ceiling was split by day and night.

I glanced over at Daryl who was looking at the painting he made a few weeks ago. "I'm an artist," he smiled at me. "Yeah, you deserve a barret," I said sarcastically.

Daryl left my room leaving me staring at the ceiling.

«That Night»

I was finishing up on my medical emergency book when Carl walked through my door with some paper and pencils. "I hope it's not to much to ask, but I've been running out of stuff to read. Daryl told me you draw and write so I was wondering if you could make a comic for me,"Carl said shyly. I sat up and smiled at him,"I'd be happy to."

His face lit up and he handed me the paper. "What do you want it to be about?" I asked drawing a line at the top of the first page to put a title. "I dunno. I've read too much superhero stuff. I kinda want something to look up to. Can you draw us finding the rest of the group and living on an island and living forever without Walkers breathing down our necks," he said staring into my eyes.

I wanted to start crying. "Sure," I managed to say. He smiled slightly and left me to my work. "Wait, Carl," I called. He turned on his heels to face me. "What happened before I got here? Why we're you all gone?"

Carl fully turned to me and said,"The Governor wanted the prison. He wasn't really the Governor, he just called himself that. He used to run Woodbury and then shot everyone who was in his army. We took in everyone else. He then came back with his new family and ambushed us. We all had to separate, but the Governor is dead."

I nodded my head and then stared at the paper. Carl left once more and didn't come back.

My breathes were growing ragged. It breaks my heart that he wants this to all happen when he should well know that it's not possible.

I wrote 'Surviving the Dead' on top of the line. Tears wanted to form in my eyes as I traced small boxes with the cover of my book. I drew a small sun beating down on one of the towers of the prison. In the next box was a car coming towards the red gate and Carl pulling down on the ropes. There was a side view of the car entering with a bus behind it.

I continued to draw the comic for the rest of the night finishing two pages front and back.

I saw day come over the prison and went along drawing. I was yawning, but I didn't stop. Rick passed by and checked on me. "Woah, Abigail, did you get any sleep last night?" he said as he marched into my room,"What are you doing." He sat down on my bed and then saw what was lying on my lap. He grabbed the papers and glanced through them. "This is for Carl?"

I nodded my head and yawned once more,"He asked me to make it for him. He said he was running out of stuff to read and wanted me to make a happy ending to all this."

Rick sighed heavily and put the papers back where they were. He ran a hand through his hair and rest his elbows on his knees. "I don't know what I'm going to do with him. He thinks that there's going to be a cure and all. I don't want him to see what might happen. I might die and I'd have to put him in your hands. Beth already has Judith and I don't want Carl..... I just want....."

I didn't reply to his frustration. "Get some sleep. You can work on it later. If you can, after you get some rest can you help us with the fence?" I smiled and said,"Sure. I'll be out there when I wake up."

Rick left and I fell to my side. It didn't take me long before I was dreaming of horrid things.

I woke up to Daryl shaking me. "Abigail, wake up. We found them!" I looked up at him with tired eyes,"Really? The only time I'm not there!"

He pulled me out of the bed not caring that I was under dressed. When we reached the visitors Daryl let go of me and went to greet them once more.

"Umm, who's that?" an Asian looking man asked Rick. "Oh, that's Abigail. She saved my life," Rick smiled. I waved my hand to them a flashed a grin. I was leaning against the wall a few feet from them. The man waved back and then Maggie jumped into his arms. I laughed a little and turned to go back to my room.

"Hey, Abigail, why don't you come meet everyone. I mean you will be staying with them," Rick shouted across the corridor. I turned back and walked over to greet everyone.

They asked me questions such as 'How long have you been on your own?" and 'What made you decide to save Rick?' They were all grateful that I saved their best man.

Daryl came up to me while I was talking with an older woman. She was asking if I liked it here. "Excuse us," Daryl said politely to the woman. He pulled me towards the staircase and said,"There's still one person missing."

"Who?" I asked a little confused. "A damn good fighter. We need her back. She can survive on her own, but she belongs here."

"Alright, we'll go look for her tomorrow," I said thinking the conversation was over. "I don't know where she could be. She's very unpredictable," Daryl sighed.

I walked away and talked more with the newcomers.