Together

When we arrive at the mall, I ask myself once again how Kat was able to convince me to come dress shopping.

     Oh, of course, there are the requirements: I have to look good on the red carpet for the premiere of Summertime, I should make a good first impression as a new actress, but in reality I could care less.  Still, Kat and I have lost so much time together that I feel I owe it to her to allow her in on this, no matter Scarlette's opinions about moviemaking and its workers.

     When we walk into the shop, a girl not much older than us comes up to us. Chewing gum and rolling her eyes continuously, she asks, "What can I help you guys with?" When Kat mentions that I need a dress for the runway, she turns to us, obviously not having heard. "What?"

     Kat, now annoyed, repeats, "This girl here is an actress, and she needs a dress for the premiere of the movie." Too late I realize what she is saying, and attempt to clamp a hand over her mouth, but by the time I do the salesgirl has already heard.

     Gaping as if we have just given her a million dollars, she replies, "Oh, my gosh, I'm so sorry! What movie are you working on?" I can hear her bite back a 'Your Highness,' making Kat smirk and me cast Kat a warning glance. However, Kat's smile only grows wider as she utters the name, 'Summertime.'  Glaring at Kat hard enough that it feels like a rock bottom, I can only hope that the salesgirl won't make a big deal of things. Of course, I couldn't be more wrong.

     Immediately, the girl introduces herself as Cara, names the rest of the staff, then runs away to pull out every dress she has in my size. At this, I sit down on the bench at the side of the tiny shop. Perhaps I am more used to the fact that people recognize me, because I don't start blubbering like a baby, but I cannot help the insecurity that has taken over my mind. This is what happened to all those actresses before getting wasted, killed, or thrown away like a piece of trash. Is that what will happen to me?

     Kat seems to gather the worst from my expression and, making sure no one is watching my reaction, sits down next to me. "Lulu, don't worry about this," she says, all hyperactive happiness gone. "Did you see her? She loves you! Maybe there are people who have gone nuts from fame, but that's not you. You have us." I look up to smile at her as she slings an arm around my shoulder. "You'll be fine while we're together, Lulu."