Scarlette, Lizza, Larry

After my disater of a first day of shooting, I think the set crew and some of the other actors expect me to burst into tears again.  But I am determined to show them who I really am--or at least, who I wish I was. Therefore, I walk past with my head held high and smirk at those who are giving me with distateful glares.  The rest of my plan, however, doesn't go so well.  When I meet up with Aidan and Steve, they are in the middle of one of those frenemy-fights that boys so often do. One minute they're punching each other, the next they're laughing. I step into the shadows when they fight, but chuckle weakly when they stop. I'm sure they've noticed me, but neither of them is going to let the grudge go.  I leave them be, and try and see if I can get anyone else on my side.

        First, I go up the woman Ben idolizes, whose name I've learned is Lizza. Despite her obsessive talking, she's friendly, so I hope she'll agree to my idea.  "Hi."

        "Oh, hi there, Lucy!" she trills. "What's up?"

        "Well, I was hoping--"

        But I jump and go quiet when I hear Nick's voice booming over the intercom, telling us to get in costume and then report to the rebuilt house for the scenes we'll be shooting today.  When he finishes, I turn to Lizza again, but she simply says, "G2G, honey! Sorry! TTYL!" I stare at her, amazed that someone who is thirty-something years old could be so immature.

        I can't stare for long, though, before I am ushered down the long hall to my changing room.  On the way I pass a few other crew members: my mom's favorite actor, Larry Powell, one of my peers, Scarlette Cole, and a pair of identical twins, Mary and Grace Tucker.  Larry proved himself a jerk at the shoot yesterday, and I can never tell Mary and Grace apart, so I decide to ask Scarlette. I don't know her very well, but she's about my age and seems nice enough.  I have to jog a little to catch up to her brisk supermodel walk, then tap her shoulder lightly. She immediately stops in her tracks. "What?"

         "Hey, I'm Lucy--"

         "Yeah, I know who you are.  After all, you have the lead." Scarlette smiles, but I see a glint of jealousy in her eyes.

           "Well, I'm sort of new at this whole acting thing, and none of my family or friends really know what it's like, so I had this idea that maybe we could have a cast visiting day, and we could all bring one guest or something."

           Her smile suddenly drops. "Why are you asking me?"  She licks her lips, almost uncomfortably, and starts to walk away.

          "No! Wait!" I grab her shoulder and turn her back to face me.  When she glares at me, I chuckle a little and try to backpedal. "Well, I mean, I don't want it to seem like I think I have all the power, and I thought you guys might want to hear about my idea first, and you could help me with it."

         Her lips press together and her eyes narrow.  "Then it's good you asked me first. Because it's an awful idea."  Once again, she flips her blood red hair over her shoulder and tries to leave.

         I'm not usually progective, but I'll never see her again after the movie ends, and to be honest, her comments are really getting on my nerves.  "Hey!" I exclaim, and run after her again. "Listen, just because you don't want people to come doesn't mean you have to be so--so--mean about it!"

         Scarlette swivels back towards me, although she continues to step backwards slowly. "I'm not being mean. I'm just telling you what I think."  She pulls her hair around her face and straightens her back, still walking away from me.

         "At least tell me why you think that." I say, following her. "I mean, I feel like my best friend is being pulled away from me, so I thought it'd be fun to invite her to set for a day."  

          For a minute, Scarlette stops walking.  She straightens her back more, until she's almost falling backwards, and raises herself to tip-toes, so that she's an inch taller than me. "A movie is supposed to be something of your own.  I mean, there are only a few people that really have the talent to make it. You have it, and me, and Aidan and Steve and everyone else here.  And that's something special--something you should keep, and something you should remember. Not your friends. They didn't have the talent to get in, so they shouldn't because of you.

           "So you can ask Nick if you can bring your friend. He'll say yes. You'll have your day of fun and gossip. But just know that you'll regret it in the future."  This time, when Scarlette turns away, I don't stop her. I watch her flip her hair, make sure her high-heeled boots stomp loudly on the stone floor, and throw her light green scarf over her shoulder.  To stop myself from staring dumbstruck at someone for the second time in a row, I turn to the people next to me and ask them for their opinion.  Mary and Grace Tucker agree wholehartedly.  Lizza, when I can catch up to her again, nods and bounces up and down like a little girl.  Larry Powell, although reluctant to agree with "one of those theiving teens," bobs his head up and down a little and says that he should have thought of that.  Steve slaps me a high five and says, "Nice going, Luce!"  Aidan is the last person I ask.  He smiles and says, "What, do you want to bring your boyfriend?"

          I'm caught off guard, and feel blood rushing to my cheeks. "No. I don't even have a boyfriend. Well, I mean, once, this boy asked me out, but he was really mean to my best friend, so I said no..." I look up to see Aidan smirking.  I feel my face heat more, but regain my posture and say, "Anyway, I wanted to bring my best friend, Kat.  We've been practically sisters since we were in kindergarten, and Summertime has kind of pulled us apart. I thought you guys would like it too."

          Aidan slaps me on the back and says, "Sure, Luce. It sounds great." I smile at him greatfully. "I'll go call my girlfriend." He rushes off.  I don't even register that I haven't asked Nick yet. There are only two things going through my mind.

          Firstly: who does Aidan think he is?

          And second: something is up with Scarlette.