Nicknames

My mom pulls up to FlyHigh Studios exactly five minutes early on Saturday morning.  I’m about to push open the door and run inside when she says, “Wait!”

         “Yeah?” I ask.  I’m a little scared—what if no one likes me? What if I’m not a good choice after all?—but mostly, I’m excited. Ever since kindergarten started, my only close friend has been Kat.  Maybe there were one or two nice kids here and there, but we were never friends for long.  Kat will always be my best friend, but this might be my chance to belong for once—and hopefully, I can take Kat with me.

         “Okay, listen, sweetie. I know you’re not the most outgoing, but don’t read your book the whole time.  Try and make some friends.” I nod sheepishly.  I had packed a little purse with my phone and some money for lunch, and I had insisted on sneaking the book version of Summertime in there too. “And don’t worry about your homework. No one’s going to care once—”

         “I’ll care!” I don’t necessarily like homework, but I want to do well in school.

         My mom holds her hands up.  “I know, Luce, and that’s really good, but you have to leave school early on Monday anyway for that interview, and I don’t want your schoolwork to affect your acting.” I nod again.  “Okay? Go out there!” I unlock the door and shove it open, running though it into the bright sunlight.  Since it’s the end of May and Summertime (obviously) takes place in the summer, the directors agreed that that’s when we’d do all our shooting—today, we’re just reading through the script and meeting each other.  “Love you!” I hear my mom shout as I run from the car.

         I hop up the stairs, my thin, brunette ponytail bouncing on my back.  I then push open the heavy door, which reveals loud chattering.  As I turn the corner, I see a large table, sprinkled with bowls of M&M’s, or potato chips, or pretzels.  There are some people sitting at the table—the bald man from the auditions, a scrawny boy about my age, a woman I recognize from one of Ben’s favorite TV shows, an older man who reminds me of an actor my mom is always complimenting (that’s probably who he is), some other kids I don’t recognize and—Aidan Moore, the most famous teenage actor I’ve ever heard of.  They’re all chatting and laughing, so I stand by the corner for a minute until I work up the courage to say, “H-hi.”

         It’s overwhelming when the entire table turns around to face me, and the whole room goes silent.  I stand awkwardly in the corner, not knowing what to do, so I’m thankful when the one man I know stands up and exclaims, “Here she is! Luce, I thought you’d never make it.” I feel a pink tinge rising to my cheeks when he calls me Luce.  The only people who do that are Kat and my family, so I’m not used to it on a regular basis.  But now that I hear it, it sounds… good.  Belonging. Like this is a family I’m about to enter.

         “Lucy Harper, here, is playing Skye!” At this comment, I get some nods and smiles.  The woman from Ben’s show catches my eye, and I catch a joking, childish glint in her despite her tight, red-haired bun and work-like outfit.  The scrawny blonde boy sitting next to Aidan Moore smiles at me wholeheartedly.  Aidan Moore himself gives me two thumbs up—Aidan Moore! The famous playboy I never thought I’d meet!

         The bald man breaks into my thoughts by saying, “Don’t think I’ve properly introduced myself, have I?  Nicholas Alden, but everyone here calls me Nick.  Director of Summertime.” I have to chuckle at the dramatic way he says the last part, but it makes me think.  Everyone here seems to have nicknames for one another. Luce, Nick—maybe its part of being in a group.  I do have a nickname for Kat—her full name’s Katarina. Maybe this means we’re all off to a good start.

         “Why don’t you come sit over here, Luce?” There’s the Luce again.  Nick pats my shoulder and leads me to a seat between the scrawny boy and Aidan Moore.  I sit down quickly, and pull the script that’s sitting in front of me closer.  Aidan Moore! A real cast reading! This is too crazy to be true. Nick then walks back to his seat at the head of the seat.  “Okay, we’re just waiting for one more person, so let the talking—commence!” This time I openly laugh, along with a few others, and nod at the man who I know will be my friend, hopefully the first of many.

         I’m a little lost in happiness when the scrawny blonde boy taps me on the shoulder, and I bounce in my seat and swing around, my ponytail whipping Aidan Moore in the face. “Whoa, jumpy much?” the scrawny boy says, and he and Aidan start to chuckle.

         “Probably just me,” Aidan says, flashing a flirtatious smile, “I’m the most famous person you’ll ever meet.”

         I decide to play along, “Sure,” I say, drawing out the word. “Or maybe it’s just the fact that I’m shy.” On the last word, I tilt my head and give an innocent smile, trying to make my true comment sound like a joke and ignore the sweaty palms I keep wiping on my jeans. Apparently it works, because both boys to burst into hysterics, and soon, I’m joining in, and I feel some of the nervousness lift from my chest.  Some of the adults look at us funny, others just are happy that we’re getting along.  When we finally catch our breath, the scrawny boy holds out his hand and says, “Steven Merrick.  Mostly called Steve—”

         “—or Muck,” Aidan says, smiling.

         “Shut up,” Steve mumbles, and I start to narrow my eyes at Aidan, until I realize Steve’s chuckling too.

         “Wait—what?” I ask, confused.

         “What I first called him when I heard his name.  Muck here tried to introduce himself James Bond style, but stumbled on the last name.” The two smile at each other.  Then Aidan continues, “Not like me.  I’m Moore.  Aidan Moore.” He shoots me a smile again, and I can’t help but smile back.

         “Fine.  Then I’m Harper.  Lucy Harper.” Both boys smile, and I find myself actually having fun—not like when I hang around the boring or mean boys at school.

         “Any nicknames?” Aidan hints.

         “Nope.”

         He makes a yes gesture.  “Good.  Now we’ll have to make one up! One to rival Muck.”

         I put my head in my hands and pretend to be annoyed, but secretly, this is one of the best moments of my life.  The two boys who I have to be best friends with on screen are now my real friends after bonding over nicknames.  By the end of the cast reading, I know that Steve is the cautious but fun-loving ninth grader who reminds me of my brother Evan.  Aidan is the cocky, arrogant but still nice and funny actor who has somehow maintained his humanity through all the movies.  At the end, I walk into Mom’s car feeling lighter than air.  This must be how it feels to belong.

-----------------------

A/N: Okay, I have no idea how a movie is made. I'm writing this story because I love the characters and how they interact, so i'm sorry if the information isn't really accurate. I hope you like it anyway. If someone knows the whole process, please leave a comment and i'll try to work it in!!!! in the meantime, happy reading!!! hope you like this chapter!!! :)