Disconnected

“Hello? Simmons residence!”

         “Hi, it’s Lucy. Is Kat there?”

         “Of course! Here, I’ll get her!” There’s a shout, some fumbling, a slamming door and then I finally hear Kat’s voice.

         “Lucy! What’s up? Was the graduation party fun? How was the shoot? What did you do? Was it the day when you had to kiss—”

         I cut her off before she can ask anything else. “It was awful.”

         “What was?”

         “All of it.”  I sigh, not liking where this conversation is going. I called Kat in hopes of getting my mind off this, but that is obviously not going to happen.

         “What happened?”

         I resign myself to retelling the story. In a monotone, I narrate the salt water that poured down my face as Ben shouted at me; the irritation that bubbled within every time someone scolded me for flirting on set just because I wore a short dress to the shoot; the relief I felt the minute I could slam the door to my room, change into fuzzy pajamas, and just tune the whole day out.

         Kat is a great listener; growling when she finds out that the man my mom reveres continuously mutters about “kids these days,” ripping her hair out whenever someone says a “witty” comment, cooing when Steve or Aidan come over to comfort me.  Even through the phone, she’s able to make me feel almost completely better.

         Almost.

         I can’t help but feel somewhat disconnected from Kat. Ever since we initiated and won a Barbie doll beauty contest against Popular Lucy, Sophia and Chloe in kindergarten, we’ve done everything together. The thought of one of us being alone, of having other best friends that the second doesn’t even know is…crazy.  And that’s when the idea starts to form in my mind.

         “Kat,” I ask, suddenly trembling with excitement. “How would you feel about a VIP tour of the set?”

-------------------------

A/N: I know this is a really short chapter, sorry!!!  I'll post another one today (although it's even shorter). I promise some of the later vignettes will be longer.  As always, please comment and vote. Even if you hate it, I really just want feedback on what I can change. Thanks so much! -Lynne :)