Sixty

Demi rubbed Joe's back as he pulled away from her after he let all of his emotions out. She didn't do much but hold him, she didn't think there was anything she could say to make him feel better. Being there and having everyone else around to support him was all they could do. He had to get through it on their own.

"Thank you." Joe mumbled and Demi grabbed a tissue wiping away his tears and Joe let her closing his eyes.

"It's not a problem, you feel better for that?" Demi inquired passing him the tissue and he kept it in his hands.

"I guess so..." Joe breathed. "I-I'm just so worried for the future."

"What do you mean?" Demi inquired taking hold of his spare hand.

"I-I mean, I know I'm lucky to be alive and all but I can't help but worry how I'm gonna get past this. What I'm going to do now and how differently everyone is going to treat me." Joe expressed.

"Don't worry about that now, alright? Let's get you up and healthy again then we can work all that out. You wouldn't be able to do anything for a while anyway." Demi replied.

"I guess so..." Joe breathed again. "I wanna see Jack."

"Today?" Joe nodded his head gently. "If you want to see him then I'll get Willa to bring him because I know how much he wants to see you too. As long as you're sure." Joe nodded his head.

"I'm sure, he's probably going to be the main person I'm going to get better for." Joe admitted.

"And that's the way it should be," Demi grinned Joe cracking a small smile but she could see how overtired he was, she knew that would be a main reason why he was so emotional as well as the fact of losing his legs. She just couldn't wait for him to get better again, to see a real smile on his face. She just didn't know when that would be. "Should I go call her now?"

"I guess so since visiting hours finish at eight." Joe answered and Demi leaned down kissing his cheek gently. They both desperately wanted more but they both knew it wasn't the time.

"I'll be right back." Demi promised but Joe didn't reply as she left the room with her phone in her hands.

Demi selected Willa on her contacts before holding her phone up to her ear only hearing it ring a couple of times before she heard her best friend's voice on the other line.

"Hey Demi, how are things."

"They're okay," Demi breathed sighing slightly. "He's expectedly really down and depressed but I can't really blame him."

"Things are bound to be like that for a while but at least he has you guys around to support him. And me, I mean, he's my friend too." Demi laughed slightly but she couldn't deny how down she was getting. She just didn't like to see him like that, she'd never blame him. She just wanted to see him better. Her focus was on him.

"But he wants to see Jack, can you bring him down?" Demi inquired.

"Of course, he hasn't stopped asking about him and you too," Willa replied and Demi couldn't help but smile. "I'll just get things ready and come straight over. What should I do with Adam?" Demi bit her lip for a minute looking down at the ground.

"Bring him with you." She replied.

"Are you sure? I don't know when you plan to tell Joe or anything."

"He needs to know, and I know the minute he knows, he'll want to see him so why not?" Demi inquired but she was worried that she maybe wasn't making the right decision.

_________

Demi smiled as she greeted Denise and Paul with a hug giving Nick one too as he came in for one after pulling away from Paul.

"I told him you were all coming back." Demi assured them, it would be the first time Paul and Nick would probably be seeing him awake. Denise only did when he was demanding to see Demi and Jack.

"Good but we'll leave you when Willa arrives with Jack and Adam. You deserve a little family moment." Denise replied and Demi smiled.

"I'm really nervous, actually. I don't know what his reaction is going to be towards Adam." Demi admitted as they headed into the hospital again towards where Joe's room was. Willa was already here but Demi knew Joe would probably want more support after he found out about his new son.

"Things are going to be just fine." Paul assured her.

"I know but it doesn't make me any less nervous." Demi mumbled slightly and they soon reached the room again. Willa was in the relative's room next door and they all went inside.

"Mommy, me see daddy now?" Jack demanded and Demi smiled kneeling down by him being careful.

"Of course but remember, you have to be careful," Demi encouraged and Jack nodded his head giggling as she kissed his nose gently. "I'll come back for Adam in a minute." Demi took hold of Jack's hand leading him out of the room and toward next door where she knew Joe was. She hasn't been gone long but the nurses wanted to do his checks anyway so the timing was right. She knocked on the door gently before entering.

Jack's eyes laid on the man in front of him straight away.