Fourteen

"And when will that be?" Demi questioned holding back her emotions as much as she could be she still felt a few tears fall from her eyes feeling comforted by Joe's arm around her. She knew he'd be staying strong for her but she couldn't help but be scared that she might lose her son after seeing him in so much pain. She knew that would be what Joe was thinking too.

"As long as it's okay with the both of you, we can do it this afternoon after the patient that is in theatre now is done. I'll leave you two to discuss a few things, I'll be back soon." He promised and they both nodded their heads gently allowing him to leave. Demi cried slightly as Joe wrapped his arms around her into a hug and she hugged him back. She felt a few tears hit the top of her head but she didn't care. He was allowed to cry and be upset just as much as she was.

"Do we have enough money or will we have to ask around?" Demi inquired and they pulled away from one another.

"We do have enough but most of it will be from what we've saved for the surgery to fix his eyes." Joe breathed.

"We don't have much of a choice," Demi shrugged his shoulders. "This needs to be removed whether it's cancer or not, it could have been what's affecting his sight."

"I guess it could, we'll go ahead with it, if it cures his sight then good, if not then we'll just have to start saving up again." Joe stated and Demi sighed nodding her head looking at Jack who looked so peaceful.

Doctor Mathews came back through the curtain not long later, it was clear he had been to another patient because it had been about ten minutes but they didn't mind. They weren't in a rush if they couldn't get Jack into surgery yet.

"What have you decided?" He inquired.

"Go ahead with it." Joe demanded.

"Do you think this is what caused his blindness? They never properly looked into it when he was a baby. Just told us about this surgery and we've been saving up ever since." Demi asked.

"I don't think so because the tumor is just on his left eye, there is something wrong with his eyes to affect his sight so I wouldn't be too hopeful that he will have his sight after this. He might gain some more vision but it won't be there fully." He explained.

"And why hasn't he had any other symptoms?"

"Most symptoms are problems with vision like blurred vision or seeing lights but obviously because he's blind anyway, he wouldn't have noticed any of that. His eyes being sore is a rare symptom so we're lucky he's had it otherwise he might still have this years later." He explained.

_____________

Jack opened his eyes feeling both his mother's and father's touch which settled him slightly but he still did wish Oscar was around. He felt Demi's lips against his head.

"You're up on a children's ward baby boy, we made sure you got the Jungle Book room." Demi explained to him and they helped him sit up slightly Joe making sure the pillow was still behind his head.

"What happening?" He questioned and Demi looked over at Joe who nodded his head promising to explain it. He could see she was already in tears.

"You've got to go for an operation Jack, to get rid of a lump that is growing on your left eye. The doctors will take good care of you and we will be here when you get put under and again when you wake up. I promise." Jack whimpered slightly and Demi ran her fingers through his hair gently.

"When?" He questioned.

"Any minute now but everything is going to be okay, alright? You have nothing to worry about," Demi assured him. "You're going to be so spoilt when you get home." Jack cried slightly Joe squeezing his hand.

"I don't want to." He mumbled.

"It's the best option kiddo, you'll be fit and healthy afterwards." Joe tried to calm him down but neither of them could guess how scared he must be, they were scared too but they weren't going through it.

"Jack?" They heard looking up seeing a nurse. "It's time for the surgery, we need to put a little needle in your hand."

"He's a little scared." Demi explained as she moved away so she could get to his hand but her hand remained in his hair so he knew she was still there.

"I'll look after you, don't you worry." She cooed and Joe and Demi watched as she begun to prepare him for the surgery. Warning him before the needle entered his hand.

"How long do you think it will take?" Joe asked.

"Oh just a couple of hours if that, removing unwanted parts don't normally take too long." She assured them.

"Then you can have a lovely dinner." Demi exclaimed but it didn't make Jack feel any better.

"Exactly, okay Jack. I'm going to put something in your hand that will make you go to sleep. By the time you wake up, everything will be done and mommy and daddy will be here." She promised and he nodded his head.

Joe and Demi comforted Jack as she put the substance into his cannula.

They both watched over him as his eyes dropped closed.