Fifty Nine

"You're still here." He mumbled and Demi cracked a small smile squeezing his hand gently.

"Of course I am, I said I would," Demi replied smiling more as she saw his tired face even though he had been asleep for so long. She knew it wasn't the same as being asleep. She could imagine him being exhausted for a long time. Especially when he starting moving around again. "How are you feeling?"

"Still rough." Joe replied.

"I think you will for a while..." Demi trailed off.

"I don't want to be stuck in here for too long." Joe stated.

"They'll only keep you as long as they need to, this is the best place for you at the moment." Demi assured him squeezing his hand again but she felt his hand leave hers trying to adjust himself on the bed and Demi stood up to help him making sure the pillow was behind his head comfortable.

"Where is everyone else?"

"They did come earlier when you were sleeping but they're all over now promising to come by later on before visiting hours finish for the day." Demi replied.

"And Jack is with Willa?" Demi nodded her head.

"Yeah, I'll bring him down tomorrow, alright? He's seen a couple of pictures of you so he knows what you look like in a way. He just doesn't know what you look like in person."

"I'm not going to look the same as in pictures away, not just to mention my legs but my face. I'm covered in cuts which some will probably scar."

"You're still you though," Demi reminded him. "We all still love you the same."

"I know, it's just hard to believe at the moment." Joe admitted and Demi leaned over kissing his head gently.

"Then we'll all just have to prove it to you." Demi concluded.

"You don't have to prove it to me. I'm just being stupid." Joe replied yawning settling down again.

"You want me to get you anything?" Demi questioned.

"A coffee would be great," Joe admitted. "And maybe get a nurse so I can pee." Demi laughed standing up.

"I'll grab a nurse and then head to the cafeteria whilst they help you." Demi replied.

"Thanks Demi." Joe breathed.

"You don't have to thank me for anything." Demi assured leaning down kissing his cheek gently before she left the room.

_________

Demi found herself wondering around the hospital getting the two of them a coffee each trying to take her time so Joe had enough time with the nurses to get himself sorted. She had a call from Denise who promise to come by after dinner with Nick. But she was nervous for the following day when Jack would be coming, she could imagine it would be an overwhelming experience for them all. Sometimes now he was here and awake, she forgot how close they really were to losing him. She made it back to his room seeing he was laid back in bed his bed now sat up at an angle so he was sat up too and he had a sandwich in front of him with a slice of cake.

"I'm back with coffee." Demi announced letting the door close behind her and she set the coffee down on the table that was hovering over his bed.

"Thanks." Joe replied picking at the lettuce out of his sandwich.

"You're not really enjoying that, are you?" Joe shook his head gently.

"I'm not really hungry. I'm on that many painkillers, I don't feel much." Joe admitted.

"Skip the sandwich and eat the cake up. At least that will give you some energy." Demi encouraged.

"No, it would seem weird considering how much long I went not eating it when I was training..." Demi sighed looking down at him. She underestimated how hard it would be to see him like this. She couldn't blame him for feeling like he was, she thought she'd be the same. She just didn't know what she could do to make it all better for him. Demi leaned over wiping a couple of tears that fell from his eyes and he sighed too. "I'm sorry."

"I told you, you don't have to be sorry for anything."

"It just seems stupid, that I'm like this when you're all the ones that had to go through it too. I could have died and it would be you, mom, dad, Nick... Jack who would go through all the pain. Not me." Joe mumbled and Demi sat on the edge of the bed with him holding him against her chest making him cry more.

"Just let it all out." Demi encouraged and he only cried more into her chest Demi running her fingers through his hair in attempt to calm him down a little bit. She desperately wanted to tell him about Adam but at the same time she couldn't, not when he was like this.

But she knew she had to. He deserved to know he had another son.