Forty Three

Once Demi was at the hospital she got herself settled into a room. She was thankful she was in a private room, she couldn't imagine being in a room with other women waiting to give birth. They met up with Spencer and Willa once there but Eddie and Willa only stayed with Demi until she was settled leaving Demi alone with Spencer and her mom. They went to the relatives room where Spencer's family were already waiting.

"I-I need to call Joe now." Demi demanded.

"I'll see if I can get hold of him." Dianna replied kissing the side of her head before leaving the room.

"Why do you need to speak to him?" Spencer questioned.

"Because he's my best friend. I'm not having this argument with you here." Demi demanded and Spencer scoffed a little bit and the room fell silent apart from the beeping of the monitor which was making sure the baby's heartbeat went silent. Demi wasn't surprised, she didn't want to argue with him, not when she was already tired and in a lot of pain. Demi reached for the phone when Dianna came in seeing it in her hands.

"He doesn't have long but he wants to talk to you too." Dianna replied handing it over and Demi held it up to her ear.

"Joe!" She exclaimed and he laughed.

"Hey, how are you doing?"

"I forgot how much it hurt but I'm doing fine, I think I'll be able to do it without pain relief." Demi admitted.

"Good, I knew you could do it. He'll be here before you know it. Try and get some rest if you can." Joe encouraged.

"I don't think I will, I swear each contraction is getting worse and worse." Demi mumbled.

"I know you can do it, you're so strong and I'm going to be thinking about you for the rest of the night. I wanna see pictures of him when he's here." Joe demanded.

"You will, trust me," Demi let out a breathless laugh. "What are you up to? It must be around seven where you are."

"I'm getting ready for a party, farewell party for a bunch of us," Joe admitted. "I'm performing."

"As normal," Demi rolled her eyes playfully even though he couldn't see her but she enjoyed the sound of his laugh over the phone. "You'll be home soon."

"I will be and I honestly can't wait to be by your side everyday and see my son everyday." Demi felt her mother's hand on her arm and it was only then that she notice she was crying.

"We can't wait either," Demi breathed. "I'll let you get off then since you're clearly busy. I'll send you some pictures over Facebook when he's here."

"You better, I'll talk to you soon alright?" Demi reluctantly hung up the phone handing it back over to Dianna.

"Is he okay?" Dianna inquired.

"Yeah, just getting ready for his farewell party." Demi spoke only then realizing what she had said.

"He's coming home?" Dianna inquired and Demi nodded her head gently.

"It was going to be a surprised but I'm in no shape to keep surprises at the moment." Demi mumbled groaning as she felt another contraction start again and Dianna grabbed hold of her hand to comfort her.

_____________________

Demi smiled as she saw her phone flash up and it was a message from Brett, she had never spoken to him in person but he had occasionally answered Joe's phone with his permission if he wasn't around to take any messages. She saw that it was a link he had shared with her and she tapped on it, soon enough she saw Joe up on the stage performing like he often did out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8GN0hm41sA

"I can't imagine Joe dancing." Dianna admitted and Demi laughed turning her phone back portrait and she replied with a simple heart. She was now towards the end of the labor and getting closer and closer to meeting her son.

"Neither can I really but he's a good singer, he always has been. I can remember us going up on stage at school." Demi smiled at the memory. It proved how long they had known one another and how long they had been this close for. She always saw her future with him. She just never imagined him being away for most of their lives.

Demi looked over at Spencer who had fallen asleep on the chair. She laid her hand on his leg and it woke him up.

"What's going on?" He questioned.

"I-It's time to push," Demi stated. "But mom isn't here."

"What do you mean, where did she go?" Spencer questioned rubbing his eyes gently to wake himself up more.

"Dad wanted to talk to her," Demi replied just as the door opened and Dianna entered. Demi knew just by looking at her face.

"It's time to push." The midwife announced to Dianna but neither her or Demi showed any emotion. "I-It's Joe isn't it?" Dianna let out a shaky breath nodding her head. She wasn't going to tell her until after the baby was here. She could have guessed she would work it out.

"He was caught in a bomb." Dianna explained to her daughter rubbing her back as she begun crying.