Dyslexia (Jack)

You sat in the lunch room watching the kids across the room. The kids who made fun of you for being dyslexic. The ones who called you 'dumb' and pushed you in the halls. It wasn't even something you could change. You were born dyslexic stuck in a world you couldn't change.

No one wanted to be your friend for fear they'd be bullied too. In fact no one would even sit at the same table as you. All those kids who would tell you 'you're so dumb you can't tell your letters apart' and all the kids that pushed you in the hall sat at one table laughing.

Sometimes you wanted to tell them how wrong they are and that its not the letters that cause you trouble just the order. You mind mixes them up like food in a blender. You snap out of your thoughts when a tray gets set on the table across from you. In three years no one had ever sat near you so this took you by surprise.

You look up to see Jack sitting across from you. Jack was one of the more popular kids at your high school and was famous for having hair more fabulous then most of the girls. "Hi y/n right?" He asks giving you a friendly smile.

"Uh yeah." You mumble taking your half empty tray and standing up.

"I'm Jack." He says giving you another smile.

"I-i should go. I don't want to be late for class." You say making up an excuse. You weren't used to people being friendly. It was more likely you would be pushed by a random stranger. So this caught you off guard. He was probably just going to use you anyway right?

"Leaving so soon?" He asks.

"Yeah I'm done." You mumble as both of you look down to your half eaten food. "I'm not that hungry." You quickly add.

"Okay. See you around." Jack says watching you leave.

.....after school......

You made it all the way to your locker without a scratch but there was Bradley, one of the bullies, waiting for you. You let out a sigh already knowing you'd probably get a good bruise or two from this. "Hey dumbo!" He greets. "How's not being able to read?" He says with a smirk.

You open your locker and pull out your math book. Not bothering to respond to his harsh words. You liked to pretend they didn't affect you but in the inside you were hurt. It hurt to be called 'dumb' and 'stupid' all the time especially for something you had no control over. You tried really hard in school and got good grades but nothing would stop the bullies. Once you even tried proving reading wasn't a problem but they didn't care. After all if they were going to make fun of you why couldn't they make fun of the actually problem? Spelling. Instead they picked on reading which was no problem for you at all.

Some nights you wanted to cry yourself to sleep. What had you done to make them hate you? Had you done something to God to give you this fate?

"Come here loser!" Bradley screams grabbing you by your hair. You let him drag you and slam you into a locker. It was better then resisting and getting it ten times worse in the long run.

"Hey leave her alone!" A voice yells while running toward you and Brad. You turn to see Jack running toward you. He stops in front of Bradley. "What did she do to deserve this?" Jack asks helping you up off the ground.

"The dumb brat can't spell!" Bradley says in a duh voice. You wipe the tears from your eyes and mumble a 'not true' under your breath.

"So? Its not like she chose to be dyslexic! How would you like to be bullied over your failed spelling tests?" Jack says turning the tables.

"I....uh how'd you-" Jack cuts Brad off.

"How'd I know? Simple I sit behind you in most of your classes. Besides what would your friends say if they found out you have Fs in every subject? Maybe you'd be the bullied one then." Jack says glaring at Bradley.

"Ok look I'm sorry it won't happen again." Bradley says backing off and leaving you in the hall with Jack.

"Thanks." You mumble giving Jack a small smile.

And from that day on Jack was always there for you. He always had your back. You too became partners in crime.

.......

This is really close to my heart for so many reasons. First off I wrote this to kinda show in all the bad good can come from it and two to not make fun of people for things they can't control or even things they can control.

I know I suffer from dyslexia and I can't help it. I've been made fun of for it even after trying to explain myself. Some people are just that way and sometimes we just need a good friend to get us through it all. Its ridiculous what some people will say just to put someone else down.

I want this too just be a lesson to anyone. If you see someone that needs help don't leave them there. Even if they say their ok they'll hurting on the inside. Even if it just means telling them you like their shoes its more then people have done for me.

If you ever need someone to talk to I'm here. I know I haven't talked to anyone about it and it hurts to hold on to all the pain. At one point my bffs friends were calling me 'Blondie' and said that 'because you're blonde your dumb' first off I have nothing wrong with blonde haired people but my haired not blonde. Secondly hair color has nothing to do with intelligence. Some of the smartest people I know are blonde. The sad thing is my friend didn't stop them in fact she unintentionally encouraged it. It came to a point where I broke down and yelled at her telling her how I felt.

Now I put on feelings into words though books like this. So thanks for sticking by me and listening to all my pain. You guys are my life support without you I'd be some depressed murderer, but your comments and energy keep me sane so thanks. Also always remember that those people hurting you in anyway won't even be there in a few years. You'll get out of school and never have to see their dumb faces ever again which is honestly the best feeling on earth.

Thanks for reading my rant -Cg

PS. Question of the day: do you know anyone (other then wdw) who can solve a rubiks cube?