Chapter Ten

Hi guys...

I'm so sorry I haven't been able to update for a while now. I just realized that writing and studying medicine isn't something I can juggle to and fro from. Either one needs my full attention. I know you guys have probably forgotten the story line and that's totally okay. Thank you to all those who've been sending me messages asking if everything was okay. I really appreciate❤☺

Yasmeen's POV

Over the next few days,my life revolved around the hospital.

Different thoughts running through my mind. Was I going to lose someone close to me again? After the loss of mama, I thought no other loss would ever affect me but I was very wrong.

Just the mere thought of losing Afrah brought involuntary tears into my eyes. She was too young to be in so much pain. Her heart was so weak and without a transplant soon,we might lose her.

I wiped my tears and checked up on her. She was sound asleep. The heart monitor beating at an irregular pace. A drip was on her arm giving her the necessary fluids and electrolytes her body needed because she was too weak to eat.

There was an oxygen mask on her face helping her to breathe. She looked so peaceful.

I walked over and placed a tender kiss on her forehead. I felt a tear slip and I hurriedly wiped it away. All I had been doing was crying these days.

I left the ward,closing the door gently behind me.

I met Amira at the elevator on my way home.

"Finally decided to go home?" She asked.

She looked weak,tired and exhausted. I hardly see her smile anymore. No one ever smiles anymore and that was breaking my heart.

When did we all become this broken? Maybe all along,our family was at the brink of the ice. Just waiting for the right moment, when the ice would melt and everything goes away with it.

I nodded. "I think I'll stop by the fashion house."

"Okay. See you later."

She turned to leave and I stopped her.

"Where's baba?" She shrugged. I understood.

He came only once to see her. Just once to see his dying daughter. What kind of a father was he? I was trying so hard not to hate him. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt. Trying to understand where he was coming from but it started to look pointless to me.

Why give excuses to someone who didn't even care?

I didn't care what he did anymore and I was going to make sure that I never had to ask him for anything anymore. I could live without him. We all could. And we're going to make him realize that.

***
I took my bath and changed into a long sleeved gown.

I looked into the mirror and saw the bags under my eyes. I applied some concealer and rubbed powder. They weren't as visible as before.

I needed to do something to distract myself from the fact that my whole life was falling apart.

I drove over to the site. On arrival, I didn't even notice whether there was any progress or not. I just went straight to my tiny office ignoring the looks the workers were giving me.

Few minutes after I was seated, there was a knock on the door.

The door opened and it was Yazid. With everything happening lately, I kind of forgot about him.