Chapter Two

The most beautiful pair of eyes stared back at me. It was a rare kind. Almost grayish with some brown. There was nothing special about the man in particular, but his eyes were something else.

He was tall and kind of slim but not lanky. His hair was bushy and so was his beard but it complemented with his look. Even with the way he was dressed,he looked sophisticated like he wasn't meant to be that way. I found myself involuntarily drawn to him. It was admiration at first sight.

I realized I was staring too much so I cleared my throat. "Thank you for helping us."

He shrugged. "It's fine. It wasn't something serious."

I didn't know why I felt like I should continue talking to him. Normally, I didn't even give guys like this a second glance. I'm not being a bitch or anything but I only hung around with people that were in the same social ladder as me.

"You live around here?" I asked merely out of curiosity.

"No. I live in the city. Came around here to look for some work. Heading back home now." He said. He was looking at me like why was I wasting my time talking to someone like him.

"We're headed torwards the city too. Need a ride?"  I mentally slapped myself. What was I doing?

He gave me a suspicious look. "Uhm..I don't think that's necessary. I'd get get a taxi or something."

"Oh come on. I just want to show my appreciation for helping us." I really needed to stop talking. I couldn't even recognize my voice.

He looked down,hands in pocket. "Okay then. Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me." I said as I got into the back seat and he sat in passenger's seat.

The driver got in and off we went. The ride was very quiet. I noticed how the young man was very conscious. He wasn't even seated comfortably. I think he was just scared he'd ruin something if he made himself comfortable.

I found myself talking again. "Please make yourself comfortable...ehrm..?"

"Yazeed. The name's Yazeed." He said

"Yes Yazeed. Please make yourself comfortable. You're sitting as if there are needles stuck on the chair."

He chuckled and I found myself loving the sound. What was I thinking?

He adjusted his sitting position and we fell into another bout of silence.

I felt the need to talk again. "So Yazeed,what did you study? And what kind of work are you looking for? No offence,but your English is so fluent and you look like an educated young man but I'm curious as to find you...ehrm...how should I put it..?"

"You mean find me dressed in tattered clothes? None taken. I studied architecture. I graduated a year ago but finding a job these days is hard when you don't know anyone or have connections. Your high gpa's won't do you any good. And right now,honestly,any job I get is good for me. My degree is useless so I'm just looking for odd jobs just to keep some food on my family's table."

I was quiet for a while. Here was someone well educated but you'd never guess. Sometimes life was unfair. I thought of how I had everything landed to me in a platter of gold. I never had to lift a finger to do anything because I was fortunate to be born with a silver spoon. I knew nothing about the suffering of other people from the lower social class. It made feel disturbed and guilty even though nothing was my fault.

"That sucks. What about your dad? What type of work does he do?"

He stiffened at the mention of his dad. I think I might have gone too far. Maybe his dad was late? That's why things were difficult for him? I felt this urge to help. To do something.