Chapter Four

I stopped dead in my tracks as I heard the voice I never thought I'd hear again.

Amir looks at me confused and I motion for him to go on without me. He shrugs and then leaves.

"Does your offer still stand?" His deep voice asks.

"Ehrm..well..yes. The offer still stands." I stuttered. One thing I hardly did.

"Okay. Would it be okay if I start tomorrow?" He asked with a sense of urgency in his voice.

"Y-yes. You can start tomorrow." I said.

"Do you think I can get paid before the end of the month? I really need to take care of something."

"Hmm, I don't know about that but we'll talk about it when you come tomorrow." I replied not knowing what to make of his absurd request. I haven't even started. Where would I get the money to pay him?

"Alright,see you tomorrow. But please consider." He said and the line goes dead.

The phone was still in my ear. His voice lingering in my ear drums.

I don't know what's worse, him coming back into my life or him staying away.

There was only one way to find out.

I woke up early the next day and started to get ready. I took my shower as I enjoyed the warm water cascading my skin.

I came out of the bathroom,rubbed my lotion then stood in front of my closet looking for something to wear.

For the first time,I was intimidated by the size of my walk in closet. The seas of clothes of different colours and shapes almost made my head spin.

Finding what to wear was hard.

No it's not! My subconscious whispered.

Ofcourse it is.

It's because of that poor boy right? That's why you're making so much effort.

No,no ofcourse not.

I laughed out loud at the ridiculous thought. My subconscious could be crazy sometimes. I shook my head as I continued roaming until I settled for an ash pencilled skirt and a purple shiffon shirt.

I grabbed an ash veil and hung it loosely on my shoulder as I made my way to Afrah's room to check up on her.

"Knock knock." I whispered.

"Ya yashmeen!" She called out as she tries to get down from her bed.

I went inside and closed the door behind me.

"Sit down would you? I don't want you to stress yourself."

She pouted cutely and laid back down.

"How are you feeling today princess?" I asked as I used the back of my hand to feel her temperature. It was normal.

"Fine. But the pain here...," she pointed to her heart. "The pain here doesn't stop. Am I going to die ya yashmeen? I'm so scared." She sobbed.

My heart broke a little more as I sat her up and hugged her gently.

"Princess, nothing's going to happen to you. Where did you even hear about dying? Don't ever talk about that ever again. You're going to be healthy again in sha Allah and you'll start going to school. You'll grow up and be a doctor...you wanted to be a doctor right?" She nodded.

"So you see,you'll grow up,get married and have your own kids one day. The pain may not stop now but eventually it will. Keep praying princess. Allah answers the prayers of kids."