Chapter Nine

Yazeed's  POV

Not one but two weeks. She hasn't been to work for two good weeks. At first, I thought she wanted to take a day off. She usually does that. Skip a day or two but never has she missed for two whole weeks consistently in the few months I've worked with her and that made me panic.

On the first week, I contemplated calling her but I didn't want to cross any boundaries. She was just my employer and I was her employee nothing more nothing less. But I knew I was lying to myself. She was more than just my employer.

I couldn't hold it anymore haven't heard anything from her for that long, I called her with much hesitation but her line was switched off. I tried several times up until today, no progress.

I was really worried about her. I had no idea where she lived nor have any way to contact her. I couldn't even concentrate at work. I was trying to measure some wood when the familiar perfume clouded my nostrils. Without even looking up, I knew she was the one.

I still didn't turn. I held my breath as she passed where I was and went straight to her temporary mini office.

Usually, she makes up conversations with me but today it was like she couldn't even see me. Maybe she didn't.

I wanted to follow her and ask her about her absence but again, I had my boundaries.

But then, it was unusual. This was no regular disappearance. Something must have been wrong.

I didn't even see her face and I was dying to see it.

I summoned up some courage and went after her.

I knocked on the door. No response.

I knocked again. And then I heard a quiet 'come in.'

"Assalamu alaikum." I greeted.

"Wa alaikumus salam." She replied without really looking at me.

I used that at my chance to see the face that haunted my dreams each night. I didn't like what I saw though.

She had lost some weight and the bags under her eyes were quite visible despite her attempt to cover them up with make-up.

My heart went out to her. I wanted to comfort her but I was tongue tied as I stood there not knowing what to say.

"Have a seat." She motioned.

I sat down then asked. "How are you?"

She doesn't answer me. She just keeps staring at a farther distance. I don't say anything more. I just stare at her.

To say she was beautiful would be an understatement. Her eyes. I drown in her eyes every single time I stare into them. There was just something so special about her.

Her presence calms me,relaxes me,makes me feel as though maybe things aren't as hard as they appear to be. When I was around her, nothing else mattered. It was just me and her.

So no matter how sad it is sitting across each other as she looks lost,there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be at this moment.

And I wish my life wasn't as messed up. I wish there wasn't any danger surrounding me. I wish things were different. I know that I don't deserve her.

I think she deserved so much better than what I can give her. I didn't,however think she deserved better than me. I think she would be perfect for me and I'll be perfect for her and all the bad choices I've made in my life are what she doesn't deserve to be part of. So until I can figure out how to right my wrongs, I had to keep my distance, finsh this contract as soon as possible so I don't have to see her everyday and realise that I couldn't have her.