“I just don’t understand why it’s such a problem to be in a relationship with a human,” I began, and I felt bad for Anthony because he had no idea what he had just gotten himself into. “What’s the big deal? If two people like each other, they should be able to be together without worrying about what anyone else thinks! But no, Hank and Nay say we’re not allowed to date a human! Why are they in charge of everything I do?”

Anthony let out a sigh. “I thought this was going to be about Dex.”

“Him, too!” I nearly shouted, and Anthony seemed to regret mentioning our stronger teammate. “He walks around acting like he owns me! Just because we kissed a few times doesn’t mean I can’t date someone else! He has no problem flirting with other girls, so why can’t I date other guys? He really pisses me off!”

Anthony stayed silent, expecting me to say more. When he saw that I was done, he let out a slow breath. “How long have you kept that bottled up?” he asked.

“A long time,” I snapped, not even meaning to.

Anthony let out another sigh. “Hank and Nay are just trying to protect you,” he said. “Dex, however… is a complicated little fellow.”

I scowled. “Little is the last thing Dex is.”

“Physically,” Anthony shrugged. “His ability to hide the way he feels is pretty little, if you ask me.”

“I really don’t want to talk about Dex right now, Anthony,” I told him honestly. “He just makes me even angrier.”

The nerdy boy nodded, and we were engulfed in silence again. I wondered if exercising with Aiden and Kristie would be a good idea… At least I’d let out some of my anger if I punched something.

“I’ve known about my powers since I was nine years old,” Anthony suddenly began, and I didn’t say anything to interrupt because I knew this was important. “And when I was in seventh grade, I had a huge crush on this girl. She was human.”

I frowned. “What happened?”

“Turns out she liked me back,” he continued, and this answer surprised me. “I was ridiculously happy. But since she was human, my parents wouldn’t let me even be near her because they knew how we felt about each other.”

At the age of twelve, I’d been locked away in my room for a year. I didn’t know what it was like to have a crush on someone at that age. Boys had been the last things on my mind.

“What’s so wrong with having a relationship with a human?” I demanded, ticked off that other people thought they could control what we did and what we wanted. “Relationships between superhuman and normal humans can work out. Your mom is human. Aiden’s mom is human. They’re both still married!”

Anthony shook his head. “It doesn’t always work out.”

“But not every marriage works out anyway!” I exclaimed, as if this was the most obvious thing in the world. “Marriages between two humans end. Both of my parents ended up dying. Life doesn’t always go how you plan it, so what’s the point in trying to prevent someone from being happy just because you think it’s better off for them?”

“I think they have a good reason for wanting us to stay away from humans,” Anthony informed me. “And not just because it’s a rule. They want to protect us and our secret.”

“Protecting our secret is one thing, but they even frown upon relationships between teammates,” I reminded him, my eye twitching at the memory of all the rules Hank and Nay had given to us. The light above us flickered. “Now what’s the problem with that? What could they possibly be protecting us from then? A broken heart?”