Chapter 22

I feel my knees go weak as I walk over to the bed and fall onto it as the nurse grabs my arm and begins removing the needles. I slowly turn my head towards Chandler, who's eyes and fixated on my mother. My mother gives a weary smile, obviously trying to trick everyone in the room.

And she does trick everyone. Except Chandler and I.

I flinch as I feel the needle being extracted from my hand and the gauze being peeled off my arm. Once the gauze is fully off, my mother's eyes land on my arm. She purses her lips and shakes her head subtly, so that only Chandler and I catch it.

I look at Chandler again and his eyes are still on my mom. My eyes fall to his fists, which are clenched in tight balls.

"Chandler." I whisper.

Finally, he turns his gaze to me and I see his fists loosen and his face soften.

"Alright, that should be all! We'll get you checked out when you're ready to go! Just come see the front desk, and remember to change that gauze every. . .about four hours. And remember to put some vaseline on those cuts." the nurse smiles before leaving the room.

"Okay, what the hell are you doing here?" I say finally breaking the silence.

"Sweety," my mom says with a big smile on her face, "I'm taking you home."

"Cut the shit mom. They already know everything."

My mom's smile instantly fades as she glares at Chandler and Tasia out of the corner's of her eyes.

"I'm taking you home." she says sternly.

"No. You can't make me go. Grandma has custody now. Remember? Chase and I make you want to kill yourself." I smirk.

"You know I didn't mean that, honey."

"Bullshit. You're just a bitch who can't control her anger."

I can tell she's trying hard to restrain herself from slapping the shit out of me. And I knew she wouldn't be able to contain herself if I kept going. She clenches her fists as she takes a step forward. But as she steps closer, so does Chandler.

"And who are you?" My mom glares at Chandler.

"I'm Ariana's boyfriend."

"I told you no boyfriends." my mom directs towards me.

"I'm sorry, you're not really in charge of me anymore." I stand up and give a sarcastic pouty face.

"You like this? This brat? How can you even stand her? She can't shut her mouth. Do you hear her? Do you hear how she talks to her own mother?" my mom looks at Chandler.

"You know Ms. Peters, me and you. . . we're a lot alike. I have trouble controlling my anger sometimes too. Especially when someone insults my girlfriend, and especially when I know they've hurt her before," my mom tilts her chin up as Chandler continues, "Sometimes, I just get really mad. I can't help it. I mean, you're skinny, kinda short, without the heels. What do you weigh? One-twenty? Maybe? I don't really think you realize how easily I could just-"

"Chandler." I stop Chandler by grabbing his arm.

"I'm helping you." Chandler whispers through clenched teeth.

I look at my mom who takes a step back as she squints at Chandler. She knows he could take her. I know he could take her.

"Ariana. . ." My mom says quietly, "Get your shit. We're leaving."

"No, mom. I-I don't know what game you're playing, but I'm not! I'm staying! I have friends here. I. . . I hate living with you. I always have. It's sucks that you're too oblivious to see that."