Chapter 21

I don't know what to do. When do I get out of here? Can I just leave?

Instead, I hit the call button next to Tasia's name.

"Oh Jesus, Tasia. Pick up, pick up." I frantically whisper into the phone.

Finally, after about seven rings, I hear heavy breathing on the other line of the phone.

"Tasia?" I ask. I hear quiet chuckling on the other end, but it's Tasia's chuckle.

"What are you doing? Why did you say help?"

"They're gonna kill me." Tasia whispers, while still laughing quietly.

"Who is? Tasia, what did you do?"

"I did something bad." she replies dragging out the "a" in bad.

"What did you do?"

I can tell Tasia's about to reply, but then she gets quiet and I hear shuffling.

"Tasia what are you doing?" I ask.

"Sh!" Tasia whispers angrily.

I listen carefully to Tasia's end of the line. I hear more shuffling, and heavy footsteps, "Where is that fucking bitch!" I hear someone shout, "Oh she's gonna fucking pay."

My eyes widen as I fear for Tasia's safety, "Tasia! Fucking answer me!" I whisper.

I hear more quiet chuckling, "I'm hiding in a closet, okay? I'm fine. . .I just have to get out of here. Like. . .alive."

"Tasia. What in the hell did you do?" I ask sternly.

"I'll explain when I get back okay? I just have to hurry."

"No, I don't want you getting hurt. Should I call the police? Who's house are you at?"

"I'm at this kid Jordan's house." she whispers.

"Okay, but where? I can have Chandler pick you up or something!"

"No. Don't let Chandler come."

"Why not? He could help-"

"They would kill him, Ariana. If you still love that kid. . .don't. Let. Him. Come."

I shiver at the words that slip from her mouth.

"Tasia do you even know where I am?"

"At the dorm?"

"No. I'm at the hospital."

"What? Why?" Tasia whispers loudly.

"I almost killed myself. And I realized how bad I could've hurt some people. And I'm not gonna let you hurt people either by. . .by getting killed! I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. So tell me where his fucking house is or I swear to God-"

"Fine. It's next door to the house we partied at the other night. Do you know how to get here still?"

"I think. . so."

"You aren't coming in. I'll meet you out front. Do. Not. Come. In."

"Fine."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye. . ." I say slowly.

Now, I just have to figure out how to leave this stupid hospital. I look down and press the red button on my bed, and the nurse comes back in within one minute.

"Yes, Ms. Peters?"

"Um. . when can I leave?"

She pulls out a board with papers on it from behind her back and begins flipping through the pages, "Peters. . .Peters. . .Ah! You are scheduled to leave at four this afternoon!" she smiles.