Chapter 3

Before I knew it, I was being shaken awake.

"Wake up. We're here," I hear a deep voice say.

I open my eyes to see that boy from the back of the car has his hands on my shoulders. He's beautiful, I think to myself. What was his name again? Chandler.

I snap back to reality, shaking my head to clear my thoughts.

"Are we here?" I ask, softly.

"Yeah.. but the flights delayed. I guess there's some big storm coming on. We have to stay in the airport for the night," he says calmly.

"Where's every one else? Where's Chase?" I question.

"They're all inside already, you weren't waking up so I told them I'd stay here and wait for you. But it's getting late and you still weren't waking up," he paused, sighing, "so.. I woke you up."

"Oh.." I say looking outside, noticing that the sky has gone dark and grey with storm clouds.

"You know... you're kind of beautiful when you sleep, if it means anything to you," Chandler speaks up. I turn to him and smirk at his now cherry red face, and giggle.

"You know... you're not as big of a dick when your friends aren't around," I shoot back and shove his shoulder playfully.

"Hey now... easy with the names. I mean, I'm not trying to be a dick," he chuckles.

"Well maybe you should try harder," I smile back at him. We begin to hear the slight pitter-patter of rain on the roof of the van.

"So... what's your story?" he asks out of the silence.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean.. why are you here? Why are you going to Atlanta?"

"Well... um my mom said she couldn't handle Chase and I anymore and I guess that's the simplest way to put it," I chuckle, "I don't know.. she just didn't want to deal with us anymore I guess. But it's fine.. she was just a shit excuse for a mother anyways," I finish, sighing deeply.

"What about you?" I ask, quick to change the topic.

"Oh..um.." he hesitates and I notice him pull his bottom lip between his teeth, somewhat anxiously.

"Ya know.. fight at school broke out," he says, though he sounds unsure of his own words.

"You don't look like the fighting type. I mean, you act like it but otherwise.. i'm not seeing the whole fighter image," I say and we both laugh.

I run my hands through my snarled hair that feels as if I haven't taken a brush to it in days. I can practically feel Chandler's eyes burning into my the back of my head once I turn around.

"What.. is there something wrong?" I ask, turning back to face the boy.

"No, no. Um... you're just... gorgeous," he says quietly, and I feel my cheeks heat up at his comment.

"Well.. I'm flattered and all, but i'm not about to fall for some boy I barely know. Been there done that."

"Wow, you've sure been to a lot of places and done a lot of things," he chuckles sarcastically.

I laugh along with him and push my hair behind my ear, a nervous tick of mine that I've just recently begun to notice. Suddenly, everything seems to go silent. I look at Chandler, who is wide eyed.

"Hey.." he says. I can barely hear his soft whisper through the rain on the roof of the van.

"Wh-what?" I ask, scared.