Task 3: Spots 1 - 7

1. BeyondDuck 

Darren pov

I looked at the three teenagers. The boy with black hair seemed distant as if he were contemplating something, but the girl looked horrified, her puffy red eyes just one of many of those indicators. It was clear she was being haunted by something unknown to me. After all, I knew it wasn't anything to do with the factions, seeing how I observed all of them. My gaze fell onto Keek, and immediately disgust filled my gut.

Even if I refused to get attached to these tributes, the fact that he murdered one of them made me want to vomit. Those cold green eyes that showed no remorse for his actions. This kid had been so selfish, and it took all I had not to strangle him. With a sigh, I forced myself to look away from him.

My eyes landed on my fourth tribute. Why of all things did it have to be a dog? It didn't make a bit of sense why Roman was one of my tributes now, but there wasn't much I could do about the matter. I did find something else odd about this talking canine, which was his blatantly obvious attachment to Kasia. He had been that way ever since Kasia had fed him in that alleyway. At these thoughts, I felt an ember of embarrassment begin to burn in the pit of my stomach, but I couldn't help it. I had spent so much time watching these kids through monitors. Some of them. No, most of them had no idea who I was.

With a small intake of breath, I cleared my throat, causing their attention to land on me. "Hello everyone, my name is Darren, and I'll be your mentor," I informed in the most professional tone I could muster.

Kasia narrowed her green eyes at me. "Dauntless?" She muttered. I nodded once, and she threw her eyes to the dirt beneath her boots. "Where are we now, and why are we doing this?" Her voice was just a broken whisper, and it caused Roman to let out a series of soft whines, all while he hit her hand with his nose.

"According to the information I have been given we are currently standing in something known as the Enchanted Forest, and as for your second question, I'm not sure why we are doing this," I answered firmly.

Malcolm scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Well thanks a lot for that pile of bull crap," he hissed.

I scowled at him, and remarked sharply with, "You think I'd lie to you? What could I possibly gain from that," I seethed.

Kasia's head snapped up to mine. Her eyes started looking over me as if she was piecing a puzzle together in her head, and I shrunk a little in discomfort beneath her fierce gaze. She opened her mouth to speak before closing it again. I watched as she drew her eyes shut with a released breath before she opened them again and reopened her mouth.

"So if you aren't gaining anything, what do you have to lose?" Her question hit me like a bullet between the eyes.

I lost my composure, and I stumbled backwards before catching myself. Her eyes widened at my sudden movement. It shouldn't have startled me the way it did, but for whatever reason, it threw me off guard. With a deep breath, I shook my head, composing myself. My resolve soon washed over me once more, and any feeling of startlement I felt before was now dissolved.

They stared at me in confusion. I ignored their stares, reminding myself it would all be over soon. Hopefully, I thought bitterly, but something in my gut told me I'd be with these people a little too long for my taste. They didn't need to know my past or my reasons. Quite frankly, I didn't need to know theirs. We weren't here to make friends; we were here to survive, and that is exactly what I intended to do, though I believed my life wasn't in danger.

"So you're ignoring us then?" This came from Malcolm.

I looked to him, slapping a forced smirk on my face. "Yes. I don't care about any of you, and you shouldn't care about me. You're here to fight for your lives to get back to your families so do that," I said coldly.